mudskipper newbie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

albartsch

AC Members
Apr 8, 2003
Lexington, Massachusetts
Visit site
Hi- Just joined. I've been fascinated with mudskippers for years, and was very suprised to see them in a pet store in Boston last week. I didn't know I could see them outside the New England aquarium. I bought 3, and was told to keep them in fresh water and feed them bloodworms. Then I started the research, and see web postings saying that I must create brackish water, use a large aquarium, feed live food, and keep the water warm. I have a four foot aquarium in the garage that I could set up, but I don't really know how to make brackish water and can't be sure how much of this advice I need to heed. Any advice from experienced skipper-keepers?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I'm going to move this over to the Brackish Water forum. You'll get more info pertinent to your question over there.

Welcome aboard! We'll do our best to help you provide a happy home for your skippers!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I closed that one and put a link in to this one.

Not a biggie, just easier for you if it's all together. We usually advise people to post a topic in just one place, to reduce duplications of responses. :)

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
You're going to need land as well as water for your skipper tank, They mostly spend time on land rather than water, as you might have seen at the aquarium. Try to re-create what you saw there and get the right water parameter you've seen around the net.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Adult fish can go for well more than 2 days without food. For fry, some source of food will be needed, but infusoria or a healthy planted tank can even support them for a day or two. Just make sure the water level and parameters are appropriate, and that the temperature will remain stable. All of my tank lights are on timers, as well, so I just don't worry about anything. The tank I have at work doesn't get fed on the weekends or holidays with no negative results.

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Welcome...

Albartsch, to Aquaria Central, home of the most waterlogged fishkeepers on the internet:)

Yep, I want my next tank to be mudskippers, too.

You will definitely want to get the 4 footer out of the garage. You need to a bit of land as mudskippers are reportedly territorial (I can only pass along what I've read, but I've done a fair amount).

Have you had fish before? Mudskippers will be something of a challenge, so you'll have your hands full.

Check out this site: http://members.ozemail.com.au/~thebobo/mud.htm

Also, if you can get your hands on Practical Fishkeeping, a great British magazine, the Jan and Feb issues (I think) had a two part on mudskippers. If you can't get them, PM me and I can send/fax you a copy of the article.

Also, do a title search for mudskippers here. I had a couple of questions a couple of months ago and those threads may still be here (or not, the boards updated a couple of months ago...)

HTH

Val

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
Honestly if you have kept fish and newts before it shouldn't be that hard. Just think of it as a cross between a newt and a fish that needs salt. I have one in a 55 currently with many other bw fish (Anableps, Monos, Mollies, Gobies, and a Fig 8), and he is extremely easy to take care of. But then again I do have a ton of experience with amphibs (currently have Tiger leg Tree Frogs, Red eye Trees, Mantellas, Newts, Graceful Chameleon and Red Ear Slider-last two are actually reptiles but thought would include anyway). "Skippy" gets frozen bloodworms, frozen brine, flakes, and live brine altered regularily. Just keep the questions coming, Aquaria is a great place and yes, we are quite a bit water logged! Feel free to PM or email me if you have any questions. I check both daily.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store