umm... something happened to my betta...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CaitxSith

A little too obsessed with neons.
Sep 30, 2006
The pond with some Triops
I just recently added my betta to my main tank (see sig) and i found out the pH in my tank and the betta tank (1 gal) are both 7.8. I acclimated the betta and i put him in the tank. as soon as i added the betta, he started to attack my neons and then he all of a sudden stopped. that was 3 days ago. he's still alive (duh) but he hides near plants and anywhere that can offer protection. When i added the betta, i used nutrifin granules slowly sinking. Note that the food says that it's perfect for bettas, so I figured that it'll be good. I used to feed the betta nutrifin pellets. Soo..

when i added the betta and fed the neons nutrifin granules, my betta took a bite and stuff started to fly out of his gills! and i mean, FLY! out of his GILLS! I'm talking about the food (i think... and it looked crushed when it flew out of the gills) flew out... along with some kind of mucus secrement(?)

can someone help? :huh:

:OT:
Will adding my betta be overstocking my tank? will the bio-load handle it?

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
It is not uncommon for a fish to blow food out of its gills. My fish do it all the time. He probably just grabbed too much in his mouth. He might be hiding because he isn't used to the current from the filter. That's why he's taking cover in the plants. Give him a few weeks to adjust to the current and he will probably be swimming the entire tank before you know it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store