My kuhlis have gone to that big fishbowl in the sky

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tetratastic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Nor Cal
Visit site
Recently both my kuhli loaches passed on. I found the first one dead - and two days later I found the second one - I think it died of lonliness :(

It's a total bummer since these fish were 7+ years old!

Has anyone else had kuhlis this long-lived? They were given to me (in addition to other fish) by a friend moving out of state, and they outlived these other fish by several years!

*sniff, sniff*

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I have one black kulhi right now that I bought when I first re-started my 20 gallon 3 and a half years ago. I was a biiiiiig newbie then and I'm sure the nitrates were horrendous. He lived in there for about a year and I then moved him to a 30 gallon Malawi tank I bought when my interest will started to kick in. I had thought he was long dead when a year after that I moved all of the fish in there to a 20L below and started converting that tank for discus. During this time I was using a D.I. resin filter that required really cold water to help with the purity. I found him about a week later after he went through temps probably down to 55 F and massive pH swings from 8.2 to 6.5 until it leveled off at 7.4. I felt really bad so I put him in the 20L down below where he was until I took that tank down this year. I had again (you think I'd learn this time) thought he was dead and I couldn't get to the tank to take it down (the tangs in there had been moved out awhile ago) so it just sat there stagnant. I finally took it down about a month later after I had turned off the heat and air and stopped feeding. Lo and behold I found the poor little guy. He was a little thin, but seemed fine, so I moved him back up to the 30 where he now resides and is a very active eater. So I've had mine for almost 3 1/2 years and have sent him to hell and back twice. I love that little guy. That's the longest I've ever kept something alive.

Tetratastic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Nor Cal
Visit site
Wow! Talk about a resilient fish!:eek:

Mine never went through anything like that - at least not while I had them. They just hid under a big mushroom coral during the day and cruised around the tank at night. When I got some corys they even let them hang out under the coral with them, it was really cute.

Kinda sad though that they were the last of the tanks original inhabitants. :(

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
7 years is a pretty good run for kuhlis. Average life span is about 3-5 years.

Tetratastic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Nor Cal
Visit site
Guess I must have been doing something right!

The really amazing thing is I don't even know how old they were when I received them, 7 years is how long, I had them, so they could be considerably older!

punch

AC Members
Mar 25, 2002
Petaluma, CA
I had a group of about 6 that I had for 5-6 years till they died one by one. I to, was pretty bummed out till I learned their life span is about 5 years. I figuered I gave them a pretty good life and so bought some more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store