Sebae Anemone and light

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Tab64

AC Members
Aug 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
I have a sebae in the tank for about a month now. He looks fine crisp white color with purple tipped tenticles. Every time I move it to a spot where I think it would get more light and better water current, it moves back down in the tank. It does eat and the clown fish loves it but I am worried about the light I have here that they are the more sensitive anemones. That tank is a 55 long with combo of t5 and PC's. He has moved 3 times from a spot on a rock group 12" deep in water directly under the lights. IT keeps moving very slowly where there is less water movement and less light. Will the sebae anemone move to an area with better light if it was not happy or would it just waste away?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
It knows where it's happy. I'd just leave it alone the t5 whould be more than enough light for it. Really you can do more harm than good by moving it . It knows what it needs ,"it should be sort of a creamy color if it's really happy and healthy. Is it eating well ?
hth
max

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
yeah. i definatly agree
if it is such a bright white, it was probably starved or at least not taken care of. but either way, it doesnt have a lot of the zooxanthella in it to take in a lot of food. I would feed it pretty often to make sure it would survive. i would guess that once it gets healthy again bright lighting wouldnt be so much of a shock and it owuld move up.

Tab64

AC Members
Aug 15, 2006
Orlando, FL
Well it does eat, I feed it a few times a week. I will not move it again, it always ends up in the same area when I have moved it. It seems healthy but is white. At least the tenticels are white with purple tips but the body it more opaque but not that dirty clear color you get with many cordies.

kyrie_eleison

AC Members
Dec 18, 2006
On this same topic. I too have a sebae anemone. I placed in a location of good lighting (out in the open) and it crawled under one of my live rocks. Should I pull it out in the hopes that it will realize I'm doing this for its own good? Should I leave it alone?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Hello Kyrie! Welome to ac amici! Please, don't move your anem you will do far more harm than good cheers
Max

kyrie_eleison

AC Members
Dec 18, 2006
hey max,

I don't know. anemones are difficult to understand. I have two and I try to target feed both since I had to quarantine all my fish (not that, that makes any difference). Anyways, One of my anemones always flips itself "face down". I have no idea why either. I want to pick it up and place it back on its upright but it doesn't matter because it'll revert to what it was previously.

The other anemone (sebae) is kind of crawling up/under one of my live rocks and I don't know what else I can do for it. It would be difficult to move it considering I'd almost have to pry it out. What weird is that one or maybe even both secrete some weird slime. I'm worried as to what effect it might have on some of my more sensitive corals. Any experience on this subject?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store