Noob question, what is plant "pearling"?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
I don't know what pearling means.

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Ahh!

Thanks a lot!

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Actually it is when plants synthesize and the water is saturated with oxygen. The oxygen being produced isn't able to dissolve in the water fast enough, and so it forms on the leaves. At least, this is the way I understand it.

epicfish

AC Members
Sep 4, 2006
Sammie7 said:
Actually it is when plants synthesize and the water is saturated with oxygen. The oxygen being produced isn't able to dissolve in the water fast enough, and so it forms on the leaves. At least, this is the way I understand it.
Yep, you're pretty much right.

Either the oxygen can't dissolve fast enough, or it's already super-saturated in the water, and so it must leave in gaseous form. That's where the bubbles come from. =)

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Thanks!

My plants are not pearling yet, is that normal? I have 2.5 wpg in a 20 gallon tall, and I dose florapride a couple of times a week.

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
Just because plants don't pearl it doesn't mean they' re not healthy. It just means your water isn't super-saturated with water. Don't look to pearl as the number one sign your plants are doing well, as it may lead to unnecessary disappointment. Also it would probably help if you injected CO2 into your tank. As if you have lighting above 2 wpg the plants need more nutrients or else they will starve. Higher lighting makes them work harder and faster, so the run out of nutrients. When you get into high lighting tanks, you have to start dosing macro and micro ferts on a stable schedule. Also CO2 injection will help keep algae away. In a tank your size, 20 gallons, you could still do diy CO2 with good results. However, it seems you only have anacharis which pretty much grows anywhere( exept in my tank) and an amazon sword, which will probably soon outgrow your tank. Seeing as you haven't really got a fully planted tank I wouldn't worry. Just a question, but why do you have such high lighting on your tank? If you need me to elaborate on anything just ask.

Last edited:

Sammie7

Get funky wit it!
May 28, 2006
Florida
TwoTankAmin, why do you have a banana in your ear? Why can you not hear me? Do you only have one ear? :p: Sorry, for my randomness. :rolleyes:

$eaba$$

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Oops, forgot to update.

I now have 5 stems of anacharis, 1 crypt, some rotala rotundifolia, some corkscrew val, and a compact sword. I took back teh amazon since it was getting kind of big. It's still pretty lightly planted, but once everything start growing in, it'll look a bit better. I may be doing the DIY co2. Anyone got a good website for that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store