Swimming up and down in corner of tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ratherbe

A love of life begins in the garden
Sep 15, 2006
Michigan
I have clown loaches and fancy guppies, and I often see them swimming up and down, up and down in a corner of the tank. Looks like they're playing, trying to see how fast they can go. Anyone have any idea why they do this? :girl:

amosf

Border Collie Nut!
Nov 25, 2004
Australia Mate!
bcs4me.com
Lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout, lemmeout!

:)

BioFilter

Deep Sea Viper Fish
Dec 2, 2006
How long have you had these fish? I had a couple loaches that did this until they got used to the tank, now they never swim the glass anymore. Make sure they have a cave or hiding place.

ratherbe

Sep 15, 2006
Michigan
Awwwwww - I rearranged their surroundings yesterday - rebuilt the rocks into new caves - I thought they would like it :( I've had them for about three months, and they've always had all kinds of hiding places. No offense, but I hope that you're wrong thinking that they want out :rolleyes: I would rather think it's part of their exercise regime :dive2:

amosf

Border Collie Nut!
Nov 25, 2004
Australia Mate!
bcs4me.com
When you change things it seems they try to go looking for the old home they are used to. They soon get used to the new arrangement and will 'like' it just as much.

But who knows. They might just want to go somewhere else :)

BTW, do you have bubbles in the corner. Some of them just seem to like swimming up and down in the bubbles all day.

ratherbe

Sep 15, 2006
Michigan
The clowns seem to like the new arrangement - they've been swimming in and out of their new caves. There's no bubbler in the corners, but there's a really long one that they do swim around in sometimes. Wonder where they would go if they could? They couldn't have it any better than where they are right now :)

amosf

Border Collie Nut!
Nov 25, 2004
Australia Mate!
bcs4me.com
Fish just don't know when they are on a good thing sometimes, eh :)

I've swapped some of the guys between tanks at times and I'd swear they are trying to get back to their old tank. (all the tanks are in the same room).

vidiots

AC Members
Apr 16, 2006
Wakefield, New Hampshire
ratherbe said:
I have clown loaches and fancy guppies, and I often see them swimming up and down, up and down in a corner of the tank. Looks like they're playing, trying to see how fast they can go. Anyone have any idea why they do this? :girl:
This is very common in Livebearers. The females do this while they are giving birth which happens about once per month. Other fish will often follow them hoping to catch a snack when the baby fish comes out.

msouth468

Fighting for the little guy
Nov 29, 2005
Iowa
couchpotatodx.proboards66.com
Try to watch them from a distance. They probably recognize you as their food source, so they group up waiting for food. My Dalmatian mollies do it every time I walk to the tank. It they keep swimming in a corner of the tank even when you are watching them from a distance. Then the water quality might be off somewhere. Best to test the water to see if there are any problems.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store