Pelvicachromis taeniatus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

perfectjukebox

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
Hello.

I would be able to get a couple of these guys. It is for a 15 gal.
Anyone has kept them?

Thanks for any info.

coupedefleur

AC Members
Jul 25, 2006
NW Ohio
A 15 is on the small size for them, but you might get away with it. Have plenty of hiding places and caves/flowerpots/,coconuts.
If I remember correctly, P taeniatus is one of those fish where the sex ratio of the fry is linked to pH. Some people try to get just the right pH, and others will raise a batch of males, then change the pH and raise a batch of females.
If you haven't kept kribensis, you might want to try a pair of them first to get some experience. The other species are less domesticated.

perfectjukebox

AC Members
Sep 25, 2006
The reason I'm thinking about getting them is because I don't want to put Kribs in a 15 gal, so I went for a smaller version of the Krib... Seemed logical.

I' looking for something hardier than the Agassizi trio I have now, who is infection proned, but who's doing great lately. They were trying to spawn earlier today, but my little female did not look that fat and they chose a standing rock behind plants instead of a cave to put the eggs, so I saw everything. I don't think they made it, there was a lot of chewing going on.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store