feeding Anemone question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LoneWolfHand

AC Members
Nov 25, 2006
I just got my first Anemone and am curious about feeding it. How do you know when you have fed it enough?

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
red flags are going off here....we need a lot more info than that to tel you what you need to do.

tank size?
lighting???

most anemones are downright tricky to keep, even for experts.

LoneWolfHand

AC Members
Nov 25, 2006
it is a 70 gal tank. The best i can say as far as lighting is it is a 130 watt 4 bulb light. Unfortunately i do not know alot about saltwater tanks, but i am trying to do the best i can. I have read what i can find about Anemones and know they are very difficult. I was givin the tank and everything in it by my brother-in-law whose job no longer allows him to maintain the tank. My wife loves the Anemone so getting rid of it isnt an option yet.....

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
your lighting is not anywhere near what it's supposed to be, I would suggest upgrading to nothing less then a 175W Halide unit with a 20000K bulb. Also with anemone they like silversides. a small fish. they can usually eat one or 2 of them. they will let you know when they are not hungry. it would help also to know some things about your tank. how long has it been running, what kind of anemone is it. Specific Gravity of your water, Ammonia, nitrite, Nitrate readings. substrate, Liverock or not, how many lbs etc

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
Most important question is what kind of aquarium is it?

LoneWolfHand

AC Members
Nov 25, 2006
in the tank there is about 80 lbs of live rock, 4 or so inches of live sand, a few crabs, 2 cleaner shrimp, and 2 clown fish. The only addition i have made has been a zooanthid that is 4 x 6 inches or so. I have also found a mushroom that is growing out of one of the live rocks. the specific gravity is 1.025, nitrite .2, nitrate 5, ammonia .1-.2. I will try and take some pics of the setup for further advice. He had it running for about 1 year, i have had it for 2 months, when i got it i washed the algae of the live rock and did about an eighty percent water change

Last edited:

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
I would not keep an anemone in there for some time, about 5 -7 more months. your still cycling

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store