Injured Yellow Lab

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

absolute

AC Members
Aug 19, 2006
Here's my story and I'm looking for some advise. Yesterday I was unable to find one of my Yellow Labs, after looking high and low I was able to see a tail behind the wall of rocks at the back of my tank. It was the missing Lab. After 20 mins of working to get him unstuck from behind the wall I was successful!!!

He immediatly swan for cover and I noticed that he had some injuries (scratch body, torn fin, and a glossy, enlarged eye), so did the other fish in the tanks who went after him either for being injured or for being in thier cave.

After another 20 mins of me chasing him I was able to place him in a quaratine tank to recover.

My question is what should I do to assist him in the recovery from his accident. He is eating very well and trys to fight with other fish that get near the tank that he is in, but his eye looks very swollen and glossy.

Should I add tropical salt to the tank, and if so will this damage the live plants that I have in there?

Any advise would be great,

Thanks!!!

DeRo316

Keeper of Cichlids
Nov 23, 2005
Tallahassee, FL.
I dont use any medicines when I put a fish in qt to recover, I just do water changes more frequently and feed them a little more. I think the product some people use is Melafix.

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
This is true, when I've had fish with minor injuries I've treated them with Melafix. For example, my p. polleni finally got aggressive and started body slamming my severum into things. Poor guy got scratched up pretty bad, but nothing invasive, so I QT'd him and used Melafix for a few days, watching closely. When I saw no more damage at all, I moved Black Jack into solitary confinement and put the Severum back in his tank. In QT they don't have the stress of other tankmates, just take it easy--Club Med for cichlids!! Good luck with your little guy. :rolleyes:

evans1ea

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
The Tangerine Tiger in our community tank bang his head which looked like with enough force to knock him out! His left eye swelled up pretty big, we took him out and put him in the QT. I didnt have any meds for him so i did water changes daily. His eye has healed well and I dont think he lost any vision.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store