How to breed snails??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

PCDawg

AC Members
Mar 15, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I have a lil dwarf puffer and its kind of hard to feed it frozen bloodworms as the water current always pushes the bloodworms away from the puffer and the worms always settle at the bottom of the tank. I want to get some snails as an additional food source for the puffer.

What is the best type of snail to get?? Apple snails?? golden snails?? and do i just get one and it'll automatically reproduce so that there'll be food for my puffer??

I forgot how snails reproduce, but if i remember correctly they just lay eggs and reproduce without breeding with other snails?? ....

Thanks!!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Get a pair of snails--most are hermaphrodites, but still require the exchange of DNA, unlike worms. I prefer the common pond snails for my puffers. Best bet is to setup a small bowl, and feed it with algae tabs. Keep it warm but not hot, and do regular water changes to prevent trace nutrients from being depleted.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I keep my Rams Horn snails in a separate 1 gallon tank (the left over Betta tank) and throw in any old veggies that I have lying around. Once you have 2 snails you will have many more. Gravel will help as well so the little ones have a place to hide until they are big enough to feed to the fishes. Excess food is important as well as this seems to cause them to breed faster.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
dont feed them and they'll breed...chuck em in the bin and they'll breed....crush every single one in the bloody tank and they'll still somehow find a way to breed!!!!

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
The way I obtained snails small enough to keep my dwarves happy was I simply bought a couple plants from my lfs. There's bound to be some hitchhikers on them. I don't know what kind of snails they are, but my little guys are apparently happy with them.

Tetratastic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
Nor Cal
Visit site
I don't even bother with an extra tank for snails, I have a philodendron clipping that I put in a vase to take root, and I threw some snails in there to see what would happen. Turns out this is a perfect arrangement, I don't have to feed the snails, and can take out one or two as needed without them over-running a tank.

As far as breeding goes, this sizable colony was starting by one snail (that I foolishly thought would stay that way!), although I did get another two or three from my sister to mix up the DNA a little bit ago(as mentioned above by OrionGirl).

Last edited:

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
While it is true you need 2 snails to mate, any snail that has already mated and makes it into your tank will produce dozens. Inbreeding... then dozens upon dozens upon dozens.

You're really only limited by the amount of food and/or fish poop in your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store