Building a tank, questions from a newbie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia
I picked up a book a few days ago, which had a lot of info about building an entire tank with a filters as well. Anyway it got me thinking about building a tank, My Dad is willing to help me build one, but obviosuly need to do some research first.

What it would be is a divided tank for my four betta fish, designed with them in mind. Filtered and heated as well. At a petstore we saw an idea for a filter that I'd like to try with it. The Filter was a divided section at the back of the tank, running the full length, with bits of charcoal (or carbon not sure), foam and some other stuff to provide surface area for bacteria. The tank we saw was a homemade affair, used to display the bettas that were for sale. I cant remember how the filter worked entirely but the wtaer ran through a channel that looking straight on at it looked like this, the lines being pieces of glass. Could anyone tell me what that style of filter is called? So I can google it?

Also we are either thinking of entirely building the tank, or buying a basic tank then putting in dividers and filter.

So Just a few more questions LOL, what would be easier? Building the whole thing or starting of with a base?

If you did build it would it be easier with a wooden frame?

I'm thinking about a 10 gallon tank being the minimum size so 2.5g per betta as a minimum, would that be okay for them?

Does anyone know of some really good sites with building a tank? LOl sorry for all the questions, I just love the idea of the inbuilt filter and making a tank, plus I got my Dad interested, thats more then i can say for the other daughter/father bonding things I've tried. Me and my Dad are way to similar in some aspects so often plans for building something have ended up with both of us refusing to listen to the other LOL.

Thanks
Emma

WeeNe858

AC Members
Dec 16, 2006
cuticom said:
I picked up a book a few days ago, which had a lot of info about building an entire tank with a filters as well. Anyway it got me thinking about building a tank, My Dad is willing to help me build one, but obviosuly need to do some research first.

What it would be is a divided tank for my four betta fish, designed with them in mind. Filtered and heated as well. At a petstore we saw an idea for a filter that I'd like to try with it. The Filter was a divided section at the back of the tank, running the full length, with bits of charcoal (or carbon not sure), foam and some other stuff to provide surface area for bacteria. The tank we saw was a homemade affair, used to display the bettas that were for sale. I cant remember how the filter worked entirely but the wtaer ran through a channel that looking straight on at it looked like this, the lines being pieces of glass. Could anyone tell me what that style of filter is called? So I can google it?

Also we are either thinking of entirely building the tank, or buying a basic tank then putting in dividers and filter.

So Just a few more questions LOL, what would be easier? Building the whole thing or starting of with a base?

If you did build it would it be easier with a wooden frame?

I'm thinking about a 10 gallon tank being the minimum size so 2.5g per betta as a minimum, would that be okay for them?

Does anyone know of some really good sites with building a tank? LOl sorry for all the questions, I just love the idea of the inbuilt filter and making a tank, plus I got my Dad interested, thats more then i can say for the other daughter/father bonding things I've tried. Me and my Dad are way to similar in some aspects so often plans for building something have ended up with both of us refusing to listen to the other LOL.

Thanks
Emma

You can actually make up you own design with a basic understanding.

-The bigger the better... so i recommend 5 gallons per betta so you can design an extra long 20 gallon divided up into 4 parts

-As for the filter.. you just need a water current to push water through the media

or you can even run 2 HOB filters where they divide the water up in the back

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
Would acrylic or glass be better? I have some knowledge of using acrylics from school. I know where to buy Acrylic, though I don't know the price range. Nor do i know the prices for glass LOL.

The filtering system that ran the full length and width of the back of the tank, would there have been any reason for that? or would it just be aesthetics?

Also how do you make a filter run through divided sections? Do you like have gaps under the dividers or what?

I've seen other ideas for DIY simple dividers but dont like them much, the one using needlepoint fabric would look tacky. We have all that stuff here, and white plastic stuff stuffed in the tank dosn't do much for aesthetics plus the Bettas wouldnt see each other then.

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
Hmm I'm ready to scream LOl, glass is starting to look like a very hard thing to use, but I still need to work out something for the Betta fish. If i could just find a cheap supplier of those 7.5w heaters, I might just be able to work something out. I found these at one site, it'd be easy to find em cheaper, just under 2g. You can get them in just over 1g and 1/2 g to
http://www.homecouture.com.au/index.cfm?event=product&idProduct=7836&cursor=35&searchTerm=jar

Hmm I've seen something like that at a shop before, will have to ahve a look

Emma

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
if you have a local acrylic dealer, then you can find some pretty good deals.

but in your situation, id reccommend just buying a tank at walmart when they have a dollar per gallon sale. if you got a 30 or 40 gallon tank, you could just buy the dividers at petsmart.

i would ever reccommend a diy tank for anything smaller than 60 gallons.

Last edited:

cuticom

Addicted Reefer
Dec 8, 2006
I'm an aussie, a farm brat at that. We don't have walmart, or any such chain petstore. For a ten g tank it's over $50

I did have another idea though. We have an 32l tank here, which is used now and then for whatever gets dredged out of the dam, when we have to drain it. We also ahve any number of small plastic containers/tanks.

So what i could do is divide the 32l into four parts, giving each Betta 8l. Then at the back of it, behind the tank have a small conatiner. In the container would be a pump and a filter. The idea being the pump draws water through a tube from the tank on one side, which then passes over a heater which is in the small container, through the filter, and the filter pumps it back into the tank. It'd be a balancing act, but if i found the right kinda filter, with a slow output it should work. Then all that boring bulky stuff is out of the way and can't be seen, which is always nice.

It'd just have to have a really really slow input/output as the Bettas'll get blown everywhere otherwise.

oh and I moved one of my barracks into my tropical tank, as i wnated to see what the flow was like befoire I put the betta's in, and it almost killed three gouramis. They would swim behind it and get stuck, so thats a no go

Edit actually i found this, and it should provide a small nough output to not bother the Betta,s and four incy bettas cant put a huge Bioload on an aquarium
http://www.theaquariumshop.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=379&name=Elite+Stingray+Internal+Filter

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store