Bleeding goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

_newbie_

AC Members
Jul 26, 2006
New Zealand
Two of my mum's goldfish seem to be bleeding. One has blood red along its dorsil fin. One has blood red veins running through its tail. I'll see of she can get photos and specifics to help. Any suggestions of possible causes and treatments?

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
unless there's blood in the water it isn't bleeding.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
sounds like possible Haemorrhagic septicaemia, caused by one or more of the bacterial class of Aeromonas, Pseudomonas or Vibrio. these bacterial species are common in many apparently "healthy" aquaria as latent infection waiting to happen. happen it does when fish are in poor and/or stressed condition for some reason, which can include overcrowding, moving, rough handling, inadequate/innapropriate diet, temperature fluctuation, wrong pH or pH fluctuation, build up of dissolved organic compounds --- the list is practically endless. the red streaking you observe on the fins is the result of haemorrhaging of internal organs and accumulation of released blood in more external tissues of the body such as fins. other symptoms which may occur as the disease progresses include ulcers.

there's little point in medicating these fish unless you are willing to eliminate the cause first. if you do otherwise it just won't work.

having only one or two fish out of sseveral contract the disease is not uncommon -- fish vary in their resistance to pathogens. it will not last. septicaemia is extremely infectious and the other fish will succumb soon. the result is always death.

treatment: Furizolidone at 20mg/litre as a continuous bath for 7 days. complete water change -- 48 hour rest period. repeat treatment. Nifurpirinol at 0.2mg/litre as per above. Oxytetracycline at 75mg per kilogram of fish (yes, you have to weigh your fish) with food.

_newbie_

AC Members
Jul 26, 2006
New Zealand
liv2padl said:
sounds like possible Haemorrhagic septicaemia, caused by one or more of the bacterial class of Aeromonas, Pseudomonas or Vibrio. these bacterial species are common in many apparently "healthy" aquaria as latent infection waiting to happen. happen it does when fish are in poor and/or stressed condition for some reason, which can include overcrowding, moving, rough handling, inadequate/innapropriate diet, temperature fluctuation, wrong pH or pH fluctuation, build up of dissolved organic compounds --- the list is practically endless. the red streaking you observe on the fins is the result of haemorrhaging of internal organs and accumulation of released blood in more external tissues of the body such as fins. other symptoms which may occur as the disease progresses include ulcers.

there's little point in medicating these fish unless you are willing to eliminate the cause first. if you do otherwise it just won't work.

having only one or two fish out of sseveral contract the disease is not uncommon -- fish vary in their resistance to pathogens. it will not last. septicaemia is extremely infectious and the other fish will succumb soon. the result is always death.

treatment: Furizolidone at 20mg/litre as a continuous bath for 7 days. complete water change -- 48 hour rest period. repeat treatment. Nifurpirinol at 0.2mg/litre as per above. Oxytetracycline at 75mg per kilogram of fish (yes, you have to weigh your fish) with food.
Thank you for the info I'll pass it on.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
wow, liv2padl, I can only hope to be as well versed in fish as you. care to make me your padawan? :D

anyway, do you know the water params? how big is the tank the goldies are in? it could be part of the problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store