shrimp behavior

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TomFromStLouis

I am a god to my angels
Feb 26, 2003
St. Louis MO USA
Visit site
Yesterday I added 6 Amano shrimp (from ****************) to my 75 gallon. Yeah, I should have gotten more - they seem a little small right now. Anyway, they swam all around and were very amusing to watch as they explored the tank. They were as active as any fish.

So today I come in expecting another shrimp show. I can barely find one and have seen only one swimming display. Should I expect today's behavior for the future or do your shrimp buzz around the tank a lot? I presume they are busy eating algae in the planted areas or something. I only have one betta and some algae eaters so far, so it isn't like they are hiding from potential predators or anything.

just looking for where my expectations should be....

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I have never seen a display. My understanding is that they are not very strong swimmers, and tend to walk unless forced to swim. I have 6 in my 40, and they tend to stay together in a group, with one or two foraying out to steal an algae tab for the group during feedings. Rarely, I see them split up into 2 smaller groups on opposite sides of the tank for a few days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store