Changing Substrate on an Existing Aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr_Obsidian

Always Learning More...
Nov 5, 2006
I have decided to change my substrate from red/black gravel to black gravel with sand on the top. My concern is how this will affect my established tank.

Should I remove small amounts of gravel and replace with small amounts of sand, to allow for gradual adjustment?

Will such a change wreak havoc on the nitrifying bacteria?

I plan to clean the gravel thoroughly with some heavy siphoning before adding Quikrete Medium Grade commercial sand (the kiln-fired stuff), in small amounts. I was thinking of changing the substrate in iapproximate increments of 1/6 of the bottom surface area at a time.

Also, I've read bits and pieces on this forum mentioning anaerobic pockets forming in the sand. How can this be avoided?

Any advice or anecdotal experience is greatly appreciated!

kuhliloach

NannerPuss
Dec 4, 2006
good thinking, it would've been the stress of a life time for the poor fish. exept if you take alll the fish out, that will be a difficult task to get to.
thanx! :)

maronov

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
New York, NY
Definitely change all the water, because the gravel in a well-established aquarium is full of... well, dirt, so you'll foul up the water if you don't clean it up. Put the fish in a bucket, (I just used the one I use for water changes), stick in a filter, and put a desk lamp over it (for me this provided adequate heating). When you are done with the change, pour in new water, but leave enough for the water in the bucket. Then put the fish, and the water, back into the tank. The downside is that the movement and change in water chemistry will cause stress for the fish. If you don't have any fish that are sensitive to aquarium salt, I suggest adding some (1 tablespoon per 5 gallons), and keeping this concentration for a few days as a form of stress relief. Also, if you have a HOB filter, turn it off - I recently changed my substrate from gravel to Eco Complete and ended up breaking my Bio-Wheel filter when a piece of Eco jammed the motor. You can also keep some of the old gravel (I just put it in a disposable plastic cup... you can also use a pair of pantyhose) because a lot of the bacteria is there. You can remove it after a week or so. But bottom line: be very careful.

Last edited:

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
If you have good mechanical and biological filtration just scoop the old out with a clean dust pan and put the new in. I just did that a week ago on 3 tanks and it worked perfectly. No cycling issues, no clarity issues, and no stress issues.

Just be sure to clean the mechanical filter after it catches what gets stirred up.

WrittenLyric

Bang Bang Shoot Shoot
Jul 16, 2006
Massachusetts
www.myspace.com
When I swapped out my old substrate (beach glass type stuff..terrible I know) to more natural gravel, it seemed pretty simple. I put the fish in my WC bucket with tank water (I didn't bother moving the filter - I was just quick about it) scooped all the old stuff out, did a heavy vaccuum, put a few scoops of gravel in a thin clean sock, put in the new rinsed gravel in. I left the sock with the old gravel in for a few days, and everything was honkydorey. No issues at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store