"Its alive!!!!" and trying to escape....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
alrighty. here's my problem. i have a ten gallon tank with two of these bulbs:
http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...26075&itemNo=21&Nao=12&In=Fish&N=2030061&Ne=2

on about 14-16 hrs per day.
no CO2
occasional ferts, not in a while

two peppered corydoras, treee neon tetras (the last of the mollies died today)

the main plants in my tank are similar to these:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87137&page=3&pp=15&highlight=aponogenetons

i have two onions, one dwarf lily/tiger lotus, one aponogeton, two bananas, and one lone clump of java holding on to some driftwood.

everything is trying to get out!!!!

the apon's have had some very strange growths and, since the camera is currently dead, i'll have to describe them:

vascular growth with spiky knobs at regular intervals along the stem

which gradually change to:

similar structure, however, "knobs" evolve into white stuructures that, at an educated guess, appear to be pollinating structures of some kind

which have recently turned into;

"early stage" green knobs, w/ about two other growths sprouting off the area where the knobs were, they resemble pods of some sort.

-------------------------------------------

the bananas:

when uprooted recently due to the need to prune the massive bed of java moss on which they rested:

the long (4-6") white roots that had been growing away from the light and into the gravel reversed themselves and beagn to grow towards the light, at the same time gaining a strong green coloration

and

sending vascular growths from the root tips above the water with the hint of a developing leaf or pod on the tip.

-------------------------------------------

i think it may be safe to assume this could be perhaps some reproductive structure/mechanism of the plants....

what do you think they are?

what should be done, if anything?

if they were reproductive stuctures, what can i expect in the next stages?

i'd like to keep the cycle (not the tank, the plants) going, and if possible, raise the juvenille plants.

how should i do this?

also, i have a spare tank (very small, in fish terms; holds about 7 cups :eek:)

could it be possible to throw some eco complete or the like, attach another one of the light bulbs (see first link), and hope to culture the baby plants?

thanks. B.W.

blackwolfXKAV

Homo sapiens
Apr 20, 2006
New England Abroad.
what do you think they are?

what should be done, if anything?

if they were reproductive stuctures, what can i expect in the next stages?

i'd like to keep the cycle (not the tank, the plants) going, and if possible, raise the juvenille plants.

how should i do this?

also, i have a spare tank (very small, in fish terms; holds about 7 cups :eek: )

could it be possible to throw some eco complete or the like, attach another one of the light bulbs (see first link), and hope to culture the baby plants?

thanks. B.W.

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX

do they look similar to tht, except not all the way developed? if so they are new plants. i just waited til they got roots cut the the stem off and replanted the bulb.....2 apons have turned into 6. although only one of my apons produces bulbs the other produces nothin but flowers

i luv apons cheap plant but grows great. and if u buyt he bulbs u can be garunteed tht there are no snails attached lol. also they grow well in reg gravel. i would save my money unless ur goin to add some more plants tht need eco in the 10 gallon IMO

Last edited:

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
those are the flowers tht the apons send up, mine send up like 1-2 a week, faster if i cut it. i usually cut it, in hopes of providing more growth. another thing apons do is send stalks up tht hav leaves on the end. the white part can get to be about 1-2inch long and has pollen on it. it will grow out of your tank and past ur lighting if u let it. eventually the flower will start to brown and die, but by tht time another is already on its way.

just IME it seems cutting the flower allows the stems with the leaves to grow, but if u let to many stem grow the base leaves will start to die. i would just play around with cutting the plant. i cut off all the underwater leaves and then had nothing but stems with leaves grow, still tryin to find a balence of underwater leaves, stems, and flowers.

in the end great plant, very versitile with many different looks. good luck and enjoy.

bkw1982

I'M GOING TO ZOMBIELAND
Aug 6, 2006
San Antonio, TX
no the flower wont grow into another plant. the bananas im not sure, never had em, but it sounds like just roots lookin for nutrients in the water. but if it looks like a new plant let it develope and see wht happens, any chance u can get pics?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store