Hi all, questions about new 75 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Gaffa

AC Members
Dec 26, 2006
I have been operating a 20 gallon with goldfish for 3 years now. I jsut got a new 75 for christmas. How should I make he transition smooth from the 20 to 75...

If I put all Gravel, filter media, decor and live plants into the new tank, do I need to worry about a tough cycle? I was thinking if I put all the old stuff in it should be a quick and easy cycle...of course the tank sizes are so different...any opinions??

The whole fishless cycle seems like a really huge undertaking considering I've got all this bacteria soaked gravel and media on the other hand I don't want to hurt my fish. the goldie I've had longest (3 years)seems permanantly stunted from cycling the original tank...something I did prior to having any knowledge of fishless cycling

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
If you use the gravel, media, and any plants/decorations with lots of texture (holds more good bacteria) you should cycle within hours to a day or so.
Just keep testing the water.

Touchy subject: your goldies are more likely stunted from being in a 20g for 3 years, as they generally need many more gallons per fish. Using them for a "fishy cycle" damages their gills, from having to live in ammonia-ridden water for a period of time. I've got 2 goldies (comets--avg.15g per) I rescued in June; the biology teacher had them for 2 or so years in her classroom in a 10g and she just let the water evaporate, then put more in. When I took them, they were in about 3 inches of sludge. After being in a large tub for 7 months, their size has not increased, but they are alot happier.
Good luck with your cycle--do you have a good master test kit to check ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels as they change? Don't use strips--unreliable.

Gaffa

AC Members
Dec 26, 2006
oh...only ONE has been in the 20 gallon that long...the other three are relatively new...a couple of months...were less than an inch when bought, and bought knowing the upgrade was coming.

I've done 30% water changes weekly and test every week for ammonia and nitrates and all has been well...I'm sure they'll be very excited about their new giant home

Gaffa

AC Members
Dec 26, 2006
I also have my doc wellfish ammonia kit and nitrate kit...I need to buy a nitrite

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
if you move all of the gravel, decor, and the filter(s) then your tank should go through a little mini cycle, but it should be quick. test for ammonia every day and if it reaches 0.5 or higher do a 50% water change. once you ge thte nitrite kit, test nitrite every day and if it gets to 0.5 or higher do a 50% water change.

Gaffa

AC Members
Dec 26, 2006
Got them in the tank...got the nitrite kit...

Will test first thing tomorrow...

Thanks for all the advice! What I ended up doing is just taking all the filter media and dropping it in the tank...didn't bother setting up the puny 30 gallon filter...I figure it's the media that's important..

all the gravel, plants live and fake, and decor went over as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store