top fin tanks (good or no good)for saltwater

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

joeyfishperez

Registered Member
Dec 27, 2006
i have a 55gal topfin tank can i startup a saltwater system with this i herd that the top fin doesnt seal their tanks with good silicon

CHOMPERS

AC Members
Jun 16, 2006
When I hear Topfin, I automatically think Walmart. (I wonder why...) If you are the original purchaser, I would not worry about it. (Unless someone here has had one with silicone turn to goo).

Topfin is a "Bargain Basement" manufacturer; they manufacture with the lowest possible price in mind rather than quality. The silicone is cheap compared to the glass and is not a money saver (besides they have to answer to Walmart and they want to keep the contract). The glass is where you will find the lower quality when comparing to other manufacurers. Topfin uses thinner glass than traditionally used. In the engineering world there is a calculated measure called the "safety factor". If the bare bones stresses requires 1/4 inch glass, you would bump it up a percentage to say, 1/2 just so you know that the tank won't break during a mishap. Topfin lowers that safety factor so they can produce tanks cheap enough to sell to Walmart.

Importskyline22

www.fraganoob.com
Oct 2, 2006
Cary, NC
IMO,

I have a 10g topfin that has been goign strong for 6 months now.

I just recently got a topfin 55g. So far so good.

Forevernight

AC Members
Jun 10, 2006
Topfin is a petsmart brand.. I have the 55g kit and the tank and hood are made by Perfecto which is a good brand.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store