unknown aggressor

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1 fish 2 fish

AC Members
Nov 27, 2002
Grand Rapids, MI
Visit site
In a 55gal:
A pleco 1.5"
2 rosy barbs and 2 black tetras schooling together
a pictus cat 2"
2 Blue acaras 1.5"
2 gold severums 1"

I bought 2 angels yesterday, about 1.5 inches. When I looked at the tank this morning the dorsals on the angels were ripped up. wait... I just thought of something are the rosy barbs fin nippers? I haven't had a problem with them in the past, could they be the culprits?

Bantam

AC Members
Aug 9, 2002
Lancaster, UK
Visit site
it could be your rosy barbs. some barbs are well known fin nippers but i'm not sure about rosy barbs in particular.

i would say that the more likely culprit would be the severums. although they vary from individual to individual they can be very aggressive especially when a pair forms.

i'd take the angels out as when everything is fully grown you'll be overstocked anyway. if you really want to keep them make sure you watch them closely.

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I believe that it's the Rosies. You really need to keep larger schools of barbs so that their aggression is spread amongst their species rather than those individuals from other species. Angels are just good targets for barb aggression, anyway.

Your pictus will eventually make a meal out of the barbs and tetras, so now might be the time to find them a home in another tank, anyway.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
I'm going to go against the flow here and say I don't think the rosies did it. I've only had/seen/heard of problems with the tigers. Usually, in my experience, the rosies are much more placid. I'd bet on the sevs.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
No its the pleco he called me up and told me the whole story. LOL they made fun of his mom. Nah I would guess the severums as well. I have not read or rosy barbs being fin nippers there relatives the barbs do but I dont think the rosies do.

ScottoMacD

Charlie and Amanda's Daddy
Dec 21, 2001
Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec, Canada
I'll throw in my 2 cents after reading the other posts.

I too don't think that it is the rosies. They are a very doscile fish. They won't bother with anything. Tiger barbs are the famous fin nippers.

Having and breeding severums for years. IMO I don't think (although anything is possible) that it was them either. I have seen young severums get fiesty, but that would have been the exception not the rule.

I'm surprised that nobody else has pegged the acaras.

Acaras can be very nice peaceful fish. BUT! they also can be nasty little buggers that can cause allot of problems in a tank.

There is a reason that years ago they were confused with the green terror. Although they aren't quite as nasty they certainly do have a nasty mean streak in them.

Bantam

AC Members
Aug 9, 2002
Lancaster, UK
Visit site
the acaras crossed my mind too but i thought that on balance it was more likely the sevs. but then again the acaras are a bit bigger and as you say its not unheard of for them to be aggressive......damn, now i can't make my mind up :D

it could just be 'teething' problems with the new arrivals but i'd have another home on standby for the angels if poss.

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
i bet it was the acura too. i kept my angels with a severum and he did nothing. they always picked on themselves. my guess is that it is the rosy barb or the acura.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store