How would you setup a 110G for SW

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
I am in the process of buying a used 110G (48x18x30) setup. It will come with an eheim wet/dry and standard dual lamp flourescent fixture, 250 watt ebo jager, stand, canopy, glass hood.

My primary interest is goldfish and koi. The tank is a good deal and I actually don't have definite plans on what to put in there but I've started to consider saltwater.

If I were to follow through with saltwater, I would like to inlcude live rock, a deep sand bed, shrimp, corals, fish, etc. Is the Eheim canister a good supplement to live rock since this tank has a lot of water volume relative to the floor space it takes up. If you were me, what would you?

One other thing, I live in one of those "historical" neighborhoods which means the powerlines are as old as dirt and power outages are not uncommon.

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Is this a glass tank? If so, is the bottom panel tempered, or could you drill the tank for overflows?

The Eheim could be used for oxygenation and water movement, but I wouldn't run any media in it. The DSB and live rock, assuming you have enough of each, would take care of all your filtration needs.

JeffP

AC Members
Mar 26, 2002
Syracuse, NY
It's not drilled. According the allglass website, the 110x does not have a tempered bottom. I would rather not have someone drill holes in the bottom.

In FW setups, you can select fish to occupy certain niches in your tank (bottom level/rocks, mid-level, and upper level). Can SW fish be selected similarly so that the "vertical real estate" is efficiently used?

gcvt

Functional Aquaholic
Mar 15, 2001
SF, CA
www.motorworld.com
Would you plan on not using a sump? If you did use a sump, would you just use hang-on overflow boxes instead of having the tank drilled?

You can choose fishes that will occupy certain areas of the tank...to some extent. For example, green chromis tend to stay high up in the water column :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store