Help, My my african dwarf frog is a little bloated and floating on the surface

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

art-kitten

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
I have a new 5 gallon aquarium. I have a betta that is about 6 months old and 3 new african dwarf frogs so I decided to get an aquarium. I have had it one week. One of my baby froggies is a little bloated and floating on the surface. His color is faded. He is also shedding his skin. This is the second day he has been there. I have a heater the temp is 78.5. I just turned it down a bit hoping to get to 77F. I tested the water. These are the results:
PH 6.8,
Alkaline 80,
Hardness 120,
Nitrite 0.5,
Nitrate 20,
Ammonia 3.0.
I know I need to get the PH up and the Ammonia out. I have not done a water change. I bought a battery powered gravel vac. I have not used it. I am not sure how to get my levels correct. Do I leave my frogs, betta and artificial plants in place or take the fish and frogs out? I am afraid I will hurt or kill a frog while vacuuming the gravel. They are so small. My sick frog is my first. I fell in love with him and went back to days later and got two more. I don't want him to die.
I am new at this please help me.
Thanks!

PS I have been feeding them frozen bloodworms. Maybe a little too much since my betta has been hogging most of the food. I have been directing a long turkey baster style fish feeder at the frogs twice a day (1/2 cube total a day).

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Leave the pH alone.

Do water changes to get ammonia and nitrites to zero and maintain them there.

art-kitten

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
About the water change

Thanks, for your advice. Do I vacuum the gravel with this first change? Do I change 25 or 50%. Leave the water sitting an hour to get to room temperature? Leave the frogs/ fish in water? I am really new at this sorry. I am just so worried I will loose the frog.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
art-kitten said:
Thanks, for your advice. Do I vacuum the gravel with this first change? Do I change 25 or 50%. Leave the water sitting an hour to get to room temperature? Leave the frogs/ fish in water? I am really new at this sorry. I am just so worried I will loose the frog.
You can vaccum if you'd like. I would change 50% of the water. When adding water, use warmer water (check it with a thermometer) get it the same temperature as the tank water and don't forget to dechlorinate it. I recommend prime. You can leave everyone in, they'll be fine. You'll have to do water changes anytime your ammonia or nitrIte is over .25 ppm. Once your tank is cycled (0=ammonia,0=NitrIte and more than .00 ppm nitrAte), You'll only have to do water changes when the NitrAte gets above .40 ppm.

Last edited:

art-kitten

AC Members
Dec 28, 2006
My frog died.

Thanks for your post. My little frog Pancake died. It is a devastating thing. Even though I had not had him long, I was very attached to him. He was my first little frog and he stole my heart and inspired in me a love for aquatic frogs I will never get over.

I changed my water 25%. I did not use warm water to match my aquarium. I will do this next time.

Since I am new to world of aquariums I will no doubt have more questions. I apprreciate the wisdom of everyone who takes the time to help me out.

Thanks again.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store