Do I need to boil driftwood

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SmallFishi

I'm addicted to Aquaria Central!
Nov 8, 2006
Canada
purchased from my LFS?

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
boiling will kill any bacteria on the wood, get rid of chemicals that may have gotten on there from the store, and leach out some of the tannins that will discolor the water. it's a good idea, not completely necessary, generally just a good rinse will be fine unless you don't want stained water. otherwise boil and then soak for a couple days, changing water several times.

SmallFishi

Nov 8, 2006
Canada
Great thanks, changing the water is a great idea I was thinking I would soak it but was worried it might mold with the stagnent water. I will change it daily and prevent that.. :)

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
i advise boiling the wood. im not sure if this goes for all woods, but the first time i used malaysian driftwood in my aquarium without boiling it, the water turned cloudy.

CaitxSith

A little too obsessed with neons.
Sep 30, 2006
The pond with some Triops
mold...

don't worry, it goes away by its own in maybe 1 to 2 weeks... or if you have a snail, they will eat it :)

ratherbe

A love of life begins in the garden
Sep 15, 2006
Michigan
I got some malaysian driftwood from my LFS and just rinsed it really, really good. I put it in the tank about three days ago and the water is fine. Fishies really like it :)

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
Make sure that if you harvest your own driftwood it's not soft, and has no bark. It needs to be very weathered before you put it in the tank. Wood that is too fresh will cause problems when it starts to rot. That said, I have never purchased a piece of driftwood, and I have found some spectacular pieces that would have cost me hundreds at the LFS.

SmallFishi

Nov 8, 2006
Canada
Well I was unable to boil it I didn't have a pot that could fit it in no matter how I tried to prop it, here it is in a 20 US gallon Rubbermaid and my dog is pretty big and it's the same size as my dog.
I poured treated boiling water from the kettle on it a bunch of times to fill the bucket, I did this twice it really stunk like the LFS when I did that so i'm glad I got all that stinky off it, the piece I have is over 3 KG dry, it has some crazy designs on it a sticking up funnel part and cave areas in the back.

Last edited:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
hmmm. . . beware stinky wood. a nice woody earthy smell is good, but if it has an unpleasant or sour odor there might be other problems with it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store