Vertical Black Moor....Whats wrong?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MBRMan

AC Members
Jan 17, 2006
Vertical Black Moor..What could be wrong?

HI, we have a black moor, who for the past month seems to stay vertical most of the time, unless he is swimming and working at staying horizontal. If he is at any sort of rest, (and if he is just barely moving his fins, he is that way) he is upright, like he is standing up. Tail towards the rocks, mouth head pointing up towards the top of the tank. His fins are all up, he is still eating fine, just looks funny, we have had him over a year and this just started about a month ago. Tried giving peas and such thinking maybe it was a swim bladder problem, but it didnt help at all. Any ideas at to what could be wrong? He is housed in a 29g with a fancy fantail goldfish and a calico fantail goldfish. They are swimming fine, and are horizontal as they shoudl be, just blackie seems to have the issues. He seems happy and healthy. Could he of swallowed rocks that are weighing him down in the back?? Or is this normal for black moors? I dunno!
We do 25% water changes every other day, and all of our levels are fine.
Any help would be GREAT
Thanks!!!!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
if he is eating and swimming and, well. . .going on about his business, then i wouldn't worry too much. it probably is a swim bladder issue, but if thre is no other trouble, i wouldn't worry. maybe it's just growing the wrong way or something. . .

thang_bom

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
Hi MBRMan,
I saw blackmoors stood up like that before. They may have swimbladder problem.

Why don't you fast them for 3 days to see what happen?

After that, you can feed them cooked green peas once a day (if they are small, you just need to feed them one pea). Many people successfully treated swimbladder for their goldfish if the water levels in their tanks are lower. What they explained was less pressure in shallow tank.

I hope this helps.

rdbox37

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2006
I too am having a problem with my Black Moor (Samanosuke). Found him Monday night 01/8 hiding in the corner of my 10g horizontally w/fin rot. Since then I quarentined him from the group. Sometimes it looks like he's gonna swim normally and other times he's next on death's door. He is not eating right.

Today went to the fish store and explained it to them and was giving E.M. Tablets - Erythromycin 200 mg. I have a hunch swimbladder is an issue yet the tablets do not mention anything about it.

Anyone with advise?

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
if you think swim bladder is the issue, the irst method to try is to have the fish fast for 3 days, then feed skinned peas. When you begin to feed normal food, do not feed a floating flake or pellet. Goldfish need to eat sinking foods due to their greedy gulping at the surface. As they greedily gulp at the surface during feeding times, often times they pull in too much air, thus causing this swim bladder issue. If all you have is floating foods, that will suffice but you must soak the food in tank water prior to introducing it into the tank for feeding. Be sure the food has absorbed enough water to make it sink once introduced.

rdbox37

Registered Member
Oct 29, 2006
Thanks for the info, do you have any addition info on E.M. Tablets Erythromycin 200 mg? I couldn't find anything good Googling it.

thang_bom

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
I always soak floating pellets in hot drinking water for 10 minutes. Then I squeeze them so that they can sink.

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
My black moor is an odd swimmer. He allways has been though. When he bottom feeds he falls over. He bumps in to things alot too. I know erratic swimming is usualy a sign of a problem, but that is how he allways was. I did get him at wall mart..he seems cognitively unfortunate.

I did want one of those chests that open and close but I can just see himm swimming into it and letting it open and close on him.

When I first got him I had him in a 5gal with an undergraval filter. He used to chase the bubles up the tube....reminded me of this..http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCnZYdC73qo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store