Switching to Sand?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

softy

Angels Rule! :)
Dec 24, 2006
Maryland
Hi, I was wondering if there is any way I could switch my tank to a color tinted sand. I've seen alot in the stores, next to hermit crab subtrate, ect. Right now it is an ugly pink gravel, and its very hard to keep clean. I think sand would look better too. But the type of filter I have, Im not sure of the name....

Its a grid, you place it in before you put and water in, and it sticks up about 1/2 an inch, and you pile the gravel on top of that. In the back are 2 slots, with the actual bubbles tubes and air stones and stuff. (You can tell I really don't know alot about the actual tank setup :-/)

Well, my concerns are removing the gravel with the fish, and what to do with the fish. Also, there are 3 baby snails (that I know of) that live in there, would they survive in sand too??? And lastly, would the sand cloud up the water?

FreakIndeed

Yo yo yo!
Oct 7, 2006
Columbus, OH
What you have sounds like an under-gravel filter, which will not work with sand. You would need to switch to a different filter system. You would effectively be removing most of your bacteria and would most likely go into another cycle (if you change all the gravel at once). Snails would be fine with the sand.

It seems you would have to remove the fish to change your substrate due to the fact that you would also need to remove the entire under-gravel filter plate.

Omega

Clowning Around
Dec 29, 2005
Surrey, BC, Canada
Hi Softy :)

I've been through this personally. Get a filter that either hangs on the back or a canister that sits below the tank. I'm not sure what size your tank is.

Sand is a good choice for an aquarium but as already said it will not work at all with an undergravel filter. Undergravel filters aren't good anyway, as it relies on the gravel for your bacteria colonies to grow and many other reasons as well.

If I were you, I'd put the fish in a large bucket with an airstone, gut the tank completely. Rinse the sand, add it to the tank, add conditioned water and let the cloudiness settle, then turn on your new filter.

Add the fish back along with Biospira (live bacteria). If you don't add the Biospira your tank will start back at the beginning of the cycle again.

If you decide to go the non-Biospira route might I suggest putting some of your own gravel in your new filter as a temporary media, or have a bag full of it inside the tank to help re-seed your tank and minimize any impact.

lilly

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
Wisconsin
You won't be sorry! There is Home Depot sand, white sugar sand and then there is Argonite sand from a fish store. Argonite is more expensive but it does not compact like other sand. I love it in my tanks.

Definitely take bunches of your gravel and put it into panty hose or some sort of mesh bag so you can take it out when you are done. Don't rinse it before you do this. Grab the dirty stuff by the handfuls and get it into your new tank. This will help with the cycle. I am a newbie but I have been through what you are doing and it is not that hard.

Fiters. I tried the kind that go in the tank and under the water. Kept falling off of the suction cups. Tried the bio- wheel but found it noisy. I buy AquaClear now. They hang on the back of the tank and are quiet. I always over power, for my 37 gallon I have the 50 gallon kind, actually 2 of them but you don't need to do that. If you live by a Petsmart you can print the online price and take it to the store. It might be about half and they should match the price.

This is a photo of the argonite. After 6 mths, it still looks like this. It does not compact and get ugly layers. I have stirred it a few times when I vacuum but that's it.

Good luck!

IMG_0891.JPG

raymgnz

AC Members
Apr 16, 2006
Philadelphia
Do you vacuum the sand the same way you would gravel? I have a python no spill and fill vacuum. Can I use that if so how? Ive been thinking of switching from gravel to sand but wasn't sure how to clean it.

softy

Angels Rule! :)
Dec 24, 2006
Maryland
raymgnz said:
Do you vacuum the sand the same way you would gravel? I have a python no spill and fill vacuum. Can I use that if so how? Ive been thinking of switching from gravel to sand but wasn't sure how to clean it.

I dont vacuum my gravel anyway. The fish eat pretty much ALL of the food, if not the snail//pleco does.

As for whats in the gravel, I have filter parts on both sides along with baby snails who eat ALOT. Its still very clean and I do water changes, its nothing wrong with it.

FreakIndeed

Yo yo yo!
Oct 7, 2006
Columbus, OH
softy said:

I dont vacuum my gravel anyway. The fish eat pretty much ALL of the food, if not the snail//pleco does.

As for whats in the gravel, I have filter parts on both sides along with baby snails who eat ALOT. Its still very clean and I do water changes, its nothing wrong with it.
The point of having an under-gravel filter is that it pulls the fish waste and dirt down into the gravel. Gravel vacuuming with an under-gravel filter is an absolute must. Have you tested your nitrate levels recently?

To answer the other question, you simply run your vac about a half inch off of the surface of the sand. Since the waste settles on top of the sand, the vac picks it right up.

paramedicthad

Just Another Paramedic
well that settles it

Just as soon as my wife cools off about all the money I'm spending on the fish tank, I'm switching to sand!

lilly

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
Wisconsin
I don't vacuum it because I think it was going in the sink drain! I go just above the surface as mentioned.

I put real sand in the 10 gallon 1 mth ago and it needs to be stirred more than the argonite. You get gas pockets but you can stir it with a anything, pretty easy.

My problem with switching to argonite is that it's cold in Wisconsin now and I am not sure how I can rinse the sand in the house.

My husband will notice if I start rinsing sand in the tub. Most things I can hide, he is not into fish like I am! I don't bug him about his golf. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store