Black fin tips?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
hi everyone. this morning i purchased 3 small goldfish from petsmart for my 180 gallon tank, currently filled with 7 adult goldfish. i recently noticed that one of the fish's fin is blackened at the tip.

should i worry about this?

water paramaters are 0-am, 0-nitrite, ph-7.7, and unknown nitrate.

oh, and all the fish are swimming at bottom 12 inches of the tank. is that bad? or are they just shy?

Last edited:

amosf

Border Collie Nut!
Nov 25, 2004
Australia Mate!
bcs4me.com
Sometimes the fins get black when they are growing after damage. You could put some melafix in if you think there is damage perhaps.

The goldies here haven't choked on the gravel yet... Not much you can do except get rid of it, and lets face it the tank probably looks better with gravel.

legendaryfrog

Nov 25, 2006
ok thanks!

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
my black moor always hangs out near the bottom in his 30g. that's where the food ends up, saves him effort. pretty lazy, IMO.

legendaryfrog

Nov 25, 2006
grrrr........now they're starting to eat the air bubbles at he surface. could that cause problems?

legendaryfrog

Nov 25, 2006
forget that last question, my fish all stay at the bottom of the tanks for long periods of time, only coming up occasionaly. is that bad?

daniellehaagen

AC Members
Oct 30, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
My two goldies love to hang out at the bottom of the tank to suck up the rocks and spit them out. In my opinion, it seems that goldies are always on the hunt for food and that's why they hang out towards the bottom. I would think if they are hanging out towards the bottom and not being active then maybe there is a problem.

my fishies

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store