Cleaning rocks from tank with bleach

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lilly

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
Wisconsin
I put my tufa rock in a weak bleach solution and let it sit for 15 mins. It went from brown with bright green algae to perfectly clean!

I rinsed and dropped them into a bucket with Prime at three times the dosage.

The rocks still smell like bleach so I am drying them in the oven at 200 degrees.

My daughter and husband asked if I was cooking something and I just said "yes". Can't believe they didn't look cuz I don't often bake.

I will rinse in Prime again.

Am I on the right track and does anyone have any pointers?

My cichlids miss their rocks but I want them to be safe.

only6foot6

AC Members
Perhaps boil the rocks.

sumthin fishy

I eat spam
Aug 22, 2005
central california
Real Name
mike
If I ever bleach anything, I get a bottle of the weco "instant DeCLOR" (since it is a bit less expensive, is more concentrated and has a squirt spout) and spray it down really good. Boiling is a good idea if they are small enough.

Edit-I do rinse them after I spray them........:rolleyes:

Last edited:

lilly

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
Wisconsin
Thanks for the help. I'll keep at it! Next time I do this, I'll wait until it's warm out. It would be easier to do this if I could go outside with the hose.

Cory Lover

AC Members
Oct 8, 2006
B.C. Canada
Hi,

Everytime I clean my tank, I bleach my plants and rocks. After I bleach them for about 15 minutes, I just take them out and give them a good rinse and put them back in the tank. I've been doing this for about five years.

Cory Lover

lilly

AC Members
Nov 12, 2006
Wisconsin
That's good, I am worrying too much.

Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store