Does sea salt help treat ich?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
I was wondering... I am using sea salt for my swordtail with ich... is sea salt the right thing?

BioFilter

Deep Sea Viper Fish
Dec 2, 2006
I was reading the carton of aquarium salt I have, and it says it comes from evaporated sea water, so wouldn't that be sea salt? I have used it for ich.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
You need a source of NaCl. As long as your salt mix contains that then you are fine. Of course it may be diluted with other sources of salt so aim for the upper end of the salt concentration in the tank, 2 tsp per gallon. Table salt will work just as well.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
any salt is fine providing it's sodium chloride. sea salt is primarily that.

2 teaspoons per actual gallon of water. this will give you a good solid level with a 1 tsp. per gallon buffer zone in both directions.

to add salt, mix it with some of your tank water in small volumes and add to your tank. never dump salt in directly as a solid. add ¼ tsp. per gallon once an hour for four hours. this will bring your tank to a level of 1 tsp. per gallon in four hours. then increase it to 2 tsp. per gallon in ¼ teaspoon increments every 3-4 hours. always watch the fish closely for reaction. when you reach a level above 1 tsp. per gallon, watch for signs of increased stress and if noted, slow things down and allow the fish more time to adjust.

carbon will not remove salt from the water so if you are using it you do not need to remove it as you do with meds. table salt, pickling or canning salt, kosher salt are all fine to use. the levels of iodide or flow agents are too minute to be a factor.

during this treatment, increase the tank temperature to at least 82°F. note that 86°F is usually fatal to ICH, and if your fish will tolerate this temperature this alone can kill the parasite. important note ... warmer water does not carry oxygen as well as cool water. increase oxygen concentrations in your tank during treatment by (a) lowering the tank water level to increase splash, (b) raising the spray bars above the water line, or (c) add an air pump to your system with a good bubbler.

maintain this treatment for two weeks minimum.

you can use salt with cories, catfish, sharks, loaches, tetra’s pleco’s etc., ... basically any fish can tolerate the level of salt recommended for the time involved in treatment.

will this treatment affect your plants? frankly i don't know. to be safe, consider removing them temporarily.

it's important to continue a water change regimen during treatment and i'd recommend twice a week ... but remember to replace what you remove. just add whatever your target level is to the change water. for example, if you have 2 tsp. of salt per gallon in the tank, and you change 10 gallons of water then add 20 teaspoons to the change water as it goes back in. the total level of salt in the tank will remain the same.

NeonJulie

Worlds' Worst Mafia Voter
Nov 13, 2006
Everett, WA
Be really careful and monitor exactly how much water you take out to dissolve salt and put back in... I just lost my gourami. I hate ich.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store