Black moor resting (?) on bottom

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Woody777

Registered Member
Jan 1, 2007
Hi all

A newbie to this forum. Have a question...have a 46/48 gal tank with 2 black moors, 1 sm orange fantail and a sm. plec...with fine water condition parameters.
One of my black moors has taken to laying on the bottom out of the way, seemingly "resting". Once in a while the other moor will join him, but it only lasts a few minutes at a time. Both have fine appetites, and with no appearance problems. What's going on? My first guess was a tummy ache? A food or digestive issue? Any input would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Woody

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
What are your water parameter readings? (ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate)

Could be the start of bloat, have you noticed any swelling of the abdomen, or scales sticking out? Could be swim bladder diseaes.

Blue

Woody777

Registered Member
Jan 1, 2007
Water conditions

Hi Blue

Thanks for the reply...just did another test after I posted:

ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: between 0 - 0.5 ppm
nitrate: between 0 - 20 ppm

Where can I get sound info on swim bladder disease?
Again...thanks for the input!

Woody

thang_bom

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
nitrite ~ 0.5 ppm is not good. It should be 0 ppm.

Some of my goldfish died because of dropsy. The fish mostly sat at the bottom of the tank. The abdomen was swollen. Face was swollen and eyes were sticking out (popeye). It is hard to treat dropsy though. I tried couple time with epsom salt and Maracyn II. However, I had alway failed. My fish died. :mad2:

You can tell by looking at your fish when you feed them.

For example,
if your fish can normally get two pellets very easy. Later, it is hard for him to get two. It may have dropsy. My sick fish spitted the second pellet out because it had a hard time to chew.

have you noticed any swelling of the abdomen, or scales sticking out?
Hi Blue

Thanks for the reply...just did another test after I posted:

ammonia: 0 ppm
nitrite: between 0 - 0.5 ppm
nitrate: between 0 - 20 ppm

Where can I get sound info on swim bladder disease?
Again...thanks for the input!

Woody

Jessu

AC Members
Dec 27, 2006
I also have a black moor. He was laying down turned out he was sulking becuase he wanted a friend. Yours might be sulking for another reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store