new 55 gallon *tall* hex

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sanfran94107

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
Hi everyone!

I just started a 55 gallon tall hex tank -- it is 4 feet tall (!) and only 16" diameter with a penguin 550 powerhead. So far, I have it stocked with:

10 neon tetras
1 small cory (about 1.5")
3 bamboo shrimp

I've been testing the water weekly and all is great (NH3, NO2 and PH).

Can I add more? Some people think the tank is a little sparse but I didn't want to overload it with fish for such a small surface area. However, the powerhead is really working the surface so maybe I can add a few more? And, if so, ... what should I add? :)

SmallFishi

I'm addicted to Aquaria Central!
Nov 8, 2006
Canada
If this tank isnt' cycled see the top sticky you will probably loose some maybe all of your neons they are not hardy enough to cycle a tank.

If it is cycled you need to add something that wont eat the neons so Angels will be out, I'm having a hard time right now thinking of a bigger fish to put in with neons as I'd really like them as most all larger fish eat small small fish like neons.
How about a Dwarf Gourami they are nice, i'm not sure if the larger regular gourami are ok with Neons you might want to ask someone else if you are interested in them then you will have a nice larger fish rather than the dwarf..

Not sure what else you could add that doesnt' need lots of width..
Sorry not much help am I ..

edited to add you will need a bunch of friends for your single cory they like to be in a school or they will be depressed, again though if this is a new tank you shouldnt' have much food in the bottom for them so make sure you supplement with aglae tabs.

sanfran94107

AC Members
Jan 1, 2007
I innoculated the aquarium daily with the Microbelift Special Blend as recommended by the LFS, set it to 78 degrees and let it sit for 2 weeks fishless. I'm pretty sure now that the tank was not cycled when I added the fish but they've survived 8 days now and seem really happy. One of the bamboo shrimp even shed its shell about 2 days ago.

Today, a check of the water shows Ammonia at .25 -- but I've read that a new tank can spike up to 4 before leveling back down.

I saw a dwarf Gourami at the store and he did seem like the perfect size. Thanks for the suggestion -- and I will wait for some Nitrates to show before adding anything else.

jgavlock

AC Members
Dec 20, 2006
I agree with the D. Gourami. They are an extremely beautiful fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store