Opaline Gourami chases Three Spot Gourami in 55 gal tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cjcountrywicks

AC Members
Nov 28, 2006
Virginia
I got both of these fish at the same time a couple of days ago. They are approx. 2.5" long. I "think" the Opaline is male and the Three Spot is female (hard to tell because they don't flare their dorsals so I can see). Could this be the reason for the aggression? Would adding another female or two solve the problem? Or should I have only females together?

My 55 gallon tank
8 Tiger Barbs
6 Zebra Danios
3 Otto Cats
2 Spotted Cories
1 Opaline Gourami
1 Three Spot Gourami

BucJason

I drink like a fish
Dec 30, 2006
Tampa , FL.
cjcountrywicks said:
I got both of these fish at the same time a couple of days ago. They are approx. 2.5" long. I "think" the Opaline is male and the Three Spot is female (hard to tell because they don't flare their dorsals so I can see). Could this be the reason for the aggression? Would adding another female or two solve the problem? Or should I have only females together?

My 55 gallon tank
8 Tiger Barbs
6 Zebra Danios
3 Otto Cats
2 Spotted Cories
1 Opaline Gourami
1 Three Spot Gourami
No,they're probably both male, because this is natural behavior with male Gouramis. They generally don't like each other. Remember, Gourami's are in the same family as Bettas, so they share alot of the same attributes, just not as extreme. They will see each other as competition, not friends, and constantly quarrel over territory, mates, food, etc.

If your tank is big enough they should stake out territories and be fine after that. They'll chase each other if they enter the other's territory, but usually wont do each other much harm unless one is much smaller than the other. I would either return one or wait and see if they get territories and start staying out of one another's way.

Last edited:

RoseFishWatcher

AC Members
Oct 31, 2006
Colorado
Opaline is a color morph of the Three Spot. If they are both males, you should definitely return one. If you like, one male and some females would be fine. I'm not sure if 1 m 1 f is okay, I think it would be, but not completely sure.

I had 4 of these gouramis in a 55 planted. I'd intended to get 1 m 3f, but was mistaken on the gender of one and ended up with 2m/2f. The larger male harassed the smaller one to death.

I think you should be able to tell their genders even if they don't flair their dorsal fin. As far as I can tell, length is the significant factor - if the dorsal fin goes back past the anal fin, male, if not - female.

Daudzegier

Tropical Aquascaper
Dec 31, 2006
Knoxville, TN
Im a fan of having three agressive fish or one agressive fish. If you have one, hes got nothing to pick on, and if you have three they either go paper rock scissors or 1 master and 2 submisives. either is fine because it keeps one fish from being picked on constantly by another. while one is hiding and healing the other is being beat up. lol. If you have room, get a third or return one of them to the store.

cjcountrywicks

AC Members
Nov 28, 2006
Virginia
Thanks for the info. I will get a third Gourami (female). Are there any other gouramis that grow to be the same size as what I have?

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
cjcountrywicks said:
Thanks for the info. I will get a third Gourami (female). Are there any other gouramis that grow to be the same size as what I have?
Do not a female as the third gourami! If there are 2 males and 1 female it is likely that the males will battle to the death over her.

cjcountrywicks

AC Members
Nov 28, 2006
Virginia
I am certain that I have one male and one female, so would adding another female be OK?

cjcountrywicks

AC Members
Nov 28, 2006
Virginia
Are there any other gouramis that grow to be the same size as what I have?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store