Painting INSIDE tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Macromatt

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Clinton Township, MI
www.mattbaclar.com
Anyone know of a type of paint I can use inside my tank? I have A nice black background, with rocks in front of it, but my filter intake and spray bar are both bright green. I would like to paint these black to blend in with the rest of the background. I asked at my neighborhood home deopt paint dept, and they said no paint is safe in water for fish.

Matt

nvision

what the heck is a pl*co?
Dec 11, 2002
Sunnyvale, CA
jau.smugmug.com
"Tamiya" acrylic hobby paint.

it's toxic-free. let it cure for at least 3 days and you're good to go. i've had a long tube painted black and used inside a tank for over 3 years with no casuaties.

Macromatt

AC Members
Mar 18, 2003
Clinton Township, MI
www.mattbaclar.com
I had a nother related question to this. What does one paint those fancy rock backrgounds that go into the tank with? The plaster or styrofoam ones that are out there? Or in the fake reefs of the big aquariums?

Matt

Dr.Guppy

AC Members
Apr 10, 2003
Bromley, UK
Visit site
You say you like to save afew dollars, well I think you would save even more by replacing the spray bar and intake, as these paints can be very expensive.

Hoping as ever that this helps,
Michael

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
Originally posted by Macromatt
I had a nother related question to this. What does one paint those fancy rock backrgounds that go into the tank with? The plaster or styrofoam ones that are out there? Or in the fake reefs of the big aquariums?

Matt
I actually didn't use paint on mine. Check out the link below for my tank pictures - you will see more details. I basically used a combination of different shades of sand (some dyed with rit dye) and epoxy - about 5 or 6 coats. Put on the epoxy and pour sand on top. let dry and repeat . This will give your wall texture and a realistic look

mxcn

Registered Member
Jul 9, 2005
Safe Paint!!!!!!!!=)

Hello all,
I went to hobby lobby today (artsa & craft store) & found an acrlic paint that is non-toxic. "ANITA'S All Purpose Acrylic. I'll be trying this out on a 80 gal. custom vivarium\pond with waterfall. I'll be housing a Male Betta in the pond & Jackson's Chameleons in the vivarium side. I'll let you guys know how it goes when i'm done painting my backgroun & cliffs.

MXCN :sim: :clap:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store