Canister Filter / Heater - your opinion needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pocketz

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
I have just received my new tank 72x18x24. However something is wrong. > According to the measurements it is listed as a 135gal tank. The acrylic panals are 3/8th inch and if you measure from the inside the tank only equals 71.25x17x23 and this comes out to a total of only 120gallons of possible water volumne ???

It has rear overflows one on the left cornor and the other on the right.

I want to purchase Eheim Pro II Thermofilter canisters w/integrated heaters.

I plan on keeping a live planted community fresh water tank and would like to know if having two of these external canister Filter/Heaters would be enought to properly heat and filtrate the water.

Here is a link to the filters: http://marinedepot.stores.yahoo.net...upplies-filters-canister-for-tanks-over-.html

I would be purchasing two. One Eheim to operate on the left side of the tank and one on the right side of the tank. They would each function via the built in overflows. Each overflow has two holes for bulk heads and plumbing. One for the canisters inlet and the other for the canisters outlet.

So i guess my question is two-fold. Why does my tank measure 72x18x24 outside dimensions listed at 135gal tanks but yet inside dimension only 120galls of capable water volumne is this a common problem?

And,

Is the 210watts X 2 == 420watts of heat and 277gph X 2 == 554gph of filtration enough for my tank.

:thud:

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
Pocketz said:
I have just received my new tank 72x18x24. However something is wrong. > According to the measurements it is listed as a 135gal tank. The acrylic panals are 3/8th inch and if you measure from the inside the tank only equals 71.25x17x23 and this comes out to a total of only 120gallons of possible water volumne ???

It has rear overflows one on the left cornor and the other on the right.

I want to purchase Eheim Pro II Thermofilter canisters w/integrated heaters.

I plan on keeping a live planted community fresh water tank and would like to know if having two of these external canister Filter/Heaters would be enought to properly heat and filtrate the water.

Here is a link to the filters: http://marinedepot.stores.yahoo.net...upplies-filters-canister-for-tanks-over-.html

I would be purchasing two. One Eheim to operate on the left side of the tank and one on the right side of the tank. They would each function via the built in overflows. Each overflow has two holes for bulk heads and plumbing. One for the canisters inlet and the other for the canisters outlet.

So i guess my question is two-fold. Why does my tank measure 72x18x24 outside dimensions listed at 135gal tanks but yet inside dimension only 120galls of capable water volumne is this a common problem?

And,

Is the 210watts X 2 == 420watts of heat and 277gph X 2 == 554gph of filtration enough for my tank.

:thud:
they just measured it on the out side as with most tanks. if you use the out side it works out to 135 gal. on bigger thanks that extra 3/4 inch really starts to add up. the filter and heater should be fine. i have 2X200w heaters in my 120. if your house gets colder you might want to think about adding a extra heater.

TropicalNorth

Bligh..The Demander Of Attention..
Jun 9, 2006
North Queensland, Australia
When they put volumes on tanks it's usually just a close estimate. 120g sounds right to me with those dimensions. When you start putting gravel, rocks etc etc the actual water volume can decrease a fair bit, that being said I usually use enough filtration and heating as if the entire tank volume was taken up with water.

2 x 210 watt heaters sounds okay to me, but it really depends on the ambient temperature. The cooler the ambient the more heating required and visa versa. If it's just normal room temperature than that sounds fine to me.

Last edited:

Pocketz

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
Pocketz said:
What do ya think guys ? Does this look like a better combination ?

:fairy:
2 X 300watt Hydor ETH Inline Heaters: http://marinedepot.stores.yahoo.net...arium-supplies-heaters-inline--specialty.html

2 X 450gph Eheim Professional 3 2080's: http://marinedepot.stores.yahoo.net...-supplies-filters-canister-for-tanks-ove.html

Well, I liked the idea of only two components for both Heat & Filtration but if you guys think more is need I should look at some other options... what do ya think?
what temp is the room it will be in? it might not need more heating. it really depends on the temp around the tank and if it will be a open tank or have a lid.

on a side note it will be hard to do higher light with co2 because the sump will gas it off. its prob best to go with low or medium lights where you dont have to add co2.

Pocketz

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
Ok

*It will be a closed tank with 12-18" canopy

*Light about 2.5watts per gallon 300-380watt = Probably PC/CF Retro kit

*Room temperature changes between 60-70 degrees Farenheit

*No sump or wet/dry system (maybe someday if I want to try out salt water)

*Fresh water and med-heavy planted community tank

Pocketz

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
Yes I do plan on getting a 5/10lb complete Co2 setup for under the cabinet!

and also using a mixture of Eco Complete, Flourite, and even possibly a light mix of CaribSea onxy moon sand for texture.

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Just an fyi- you can get the filters a whole lot cheaper at BigAls- the 2128 is $270 or $320 with all the media.

I have a pair of 2026 I run on two different tanks. I have the Hydor inline heaters which I added long after i got the filters. I love both.

Pocketz

AC Members
Aug 29, 2006
Thanks for the tip at BigAls. I just posted that link because it showed the specs of the stuff nice and easy.

Yeah, I will be doing some definate price comparison shopping for this stuff.

tnx

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store