Snails for algea...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
I am looking for something to help keep the glass of my sa cichlid community tank from having little patches of brown algea. I don't really want a pleco(to much waste) or ottos and was wondering if snails can help. If so what species? I would like to keep the animals in the tank native to SA(Rio Negro if at all possible); however please feel free to ignore this part of my request.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Ramshorns, common pond, and MTS would all be good, although I have no idea of the native home of the first two and the third is SE Asian. If you put in an assotment, you will select for those thriving on the available food sources.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Colombian Ramshorns are effective, but should never be used if any live plants are to be included, as they are particularly voracious Apple snails, just flat-spiraled ones. Quite attractive also.

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
this didn't work well for me, i finally resorted to otos. i was experimenting with apple-type snails and they ate some, but not nearly enough and i had 4 of them in a 29g.

maybe a farlowella? i think they eat the stuff too........ i have 2 of them, one in a tank with jewels and s/a's and he seems to get along ok. the otos are almost definately out, cichlids would probably kill and/or eat them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store