Betta poll

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

How have your betta(s) behaved in a community setting?

• THREE bettas,have worked out with fish that the betta could easily confuse with another male.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • THREE bettas, have worked out only with inverts (snails, shrimp and/or aquatic frogs).

• FOUR bettas, have not worked out in a community setting AT ALL.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dorkfish

AC Members
Jul 25, 2005
Windsor,Ontario,Canada
Since opinions and expieriences with B. splendens in a community tank can vary greatly, I've decided to post a poll on several aquarium forums to actually find some numbers on how well it works out. At a later date, I will use the numbers to create an article on the subject.

Please do not vote if you have:

a) not attempted your betta in a community tank.

b) not kept a betta previously (obviously).

c) have kept more bettas in community settings than the poll allows you to vote for, in wich case, please shoot me a PM with the info on your bettas.

The poll will be open for one month. Please vote carefully. Also note that the poll is multiple choice.

Last edited:

5Bettamom

7 BettaMom now!!! Woot woot
Dec 15, 2006
Washington
I actually have five Bettas, but I voted 4 since that was the closest. And they have been succesfully housed with African Dwarf Frogs. Not clawed ones though.

NinjaPirate

AC Members
Oct 28, 2006
Minnesota
That poll is wholly unable to deal with the differences between males and females. It is really only suited to talking about Male bettas.

Female bettas can do well in a variety of community settings and in groups. They are still aggressive fish, and generally do not do well with other aggressive fish, but almost always work as the sole semi-agg. in any peaceful community tank (tetras, corys, ottos, rasboras, etc. etc. etc.)

dizzykylie

AC Members
Oct 20, 2006
Ohio
www.myspace.com
I just recently put my male vt in a 10 G tank with 2 white cloud minnows and 2 head and tail light tetras. At first it was just him and the minnows, and he chased them around, flaring, acting all tough. After a few minutes of chasing them in vain, they are way too fast for him, he gave up. Now he just swims along, minding his own business.

lucky777ca

AC Members
Jan 25, 2006
I have a betta that doesn't seem to bother the bottom dwellers (pleco, cories, etc...) and snails, but he will attack fishes that are top- and even mid-level dwellers, ADF (strangely) and shrimps.

hmilstead

Heather
Aug 7, 2006
Glendale, AZ
the first time I voted was for one Betta (didn't know at the time if it was for male and female) and had one male Betta in a 10 gallon with other fish, but I also have had 4 females in my 55 with no problems at all between them or the other fish. Only 3 now (one died on the move from Maryland to Arizona). I will be adding more females as soon as I find some in Phoenix.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store