filter media

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

molahs4

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
Albany, CA
Visit site
Are there any media types that I absolutely should not use for a heavily planted tank?

Any that you really recomend? I will be setting up the 90 gallon tank very soon. The filter is a Fluval 403. I would give you more details, but I'm not sure what they all are.

Thanks.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Pack your filter like you would for a fish only tank. Biomedia and mechanical media. Carbon isn't needed in both setups, plants or fish only... but especially in plant tanks.

Depending on how heavy you want to stock your tank, I'd suggest thinking about getting one more filter for your tank... I doubt a Fluval 403 will be enough for a 90 gallon tank. My 70 gallon plant tank has a Fluval 404 and an Eheim 2026 on it.

HTH
-Richer

odessa

AC Members
Feb 12, 2002
Salt Lake, Utah
I disagree Richer, (ducks for incoming) I believe a 403 will be fine in his tank providing that it is heavily planted with adequate lighting and a moderate fish load it should be fine. You don't need bio filtration in a well run planted tank, just some mechanical to pick debris. I have a 25 gal tank with nothing but a penguin 201 powerhead with a quick filter attached, it doubles as a Co2 reactor. In over three years I have never had a fish loss due to under filtration.

molahs4

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
Albany, CA
Visit site
I am going to give it a go with just the Fluval 403. If I need more filtration I can get another one later. But how will I know if the problem is underfiltration?

From your responses I will get the a combo of biological and mechanical filtration without any carbon.

Thanks for your help. This site has been very valuable.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
odessa - I only suggested another filter if his bioload is going to be heavy... but if his bioload is going to be light/moderate than for sure, the 403 should be enough. I'd just put in a powerhead for some more midlevel water movement.

-Richer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store