Questions about freeze-dried blood worms & tubifex worms

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cjcountrywicks

AC Members
Nov 28, 2006
Virginia
I bought freeze-dried blood worms & tubifex for the first time and have a few questions.

1. How do you get the tubifex cubes to stick to the aquarium glass? I tried several times and they would fall off in a few seconds and be floating around.
  2. Why does it say on the can of blood worms not to touch them with your hands, or breath the dust?
  3. My fish aren't really interested in eating either of the worms. Is this normal? I thought they loved them!

My 55 gallon tank
8 Tiger Barbs
6 Zebra Danios
3 Otto Cats
2 Spotted Cories
1 Opaline Gourami
1 Blue Gourami

bobandfiona

AC Members
Dec 13, 2005
Dallas, TX
I have used bloodworms (freeze dried, fresh, and frozen) for over a year now in both of my tanks...

Bloodworms are mosquito larvae, so they are a natural allergen for alot of people. The sales guy at the fish store I buy from has allergies to them so bad he can't even touch the bag they come in without getting hives!

The dust from freeze drying warning is much along the same lines as touching. I touch mine all the time and have no issues at all.

Your fish may be getting used to them and are being picky until they know how good they are, or you may be overfeeding them. In my community tank I notice some of my fish like the Gourami and bleeding heart tetras love the bloodworms but others like my black phantom tetra and cardinal tetras don't. (well, one little guy does...he'll eat anything though including my finger!!!)

I don't know about the cubes on the tubiflex, but I buy a frozen and fresh assortment of algae, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and tubiflex cubes. I cut them with a knife into slivers and feed that way and they gobble it right up! Try it and see if they like smaller pieces better!

Good luck!

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
actually the 'bloodworm' can also bethe midge larvae aka chironomidae.
which is what I know as the 'bloodworm'.
many sell the mosquito larvae as bloodworms

NinjaPirate

AC Members
Oct 28, 2006
Minnesota
The reason for the no touching warning on Bloodworms is because people with allergies to dust/dustmites will also be allergic to BW. You can also develop an allergy with prolonged exposure to BW (rare, but happens).

RoseFishWatcher

AC Members
Oct 31, 2006
Colorado
The tubifex cubes are a bit odd to deal with. My favorite way to use them is to let them soak in a spoon of tankwater. (It's my fish-only spoon that I also use to thaw frozen foods). After one side of the cube has absorbed some water, I flip it over so the other side absorbs some water too. Then I rip the sucker into several pieces with my fingers. I hold each piece in my fingers under the water til the fish come over and start munching - then I let go.

The only time I ever got them to stick to the glass, I had ripped a dry cube in half, and stuck it on to the glass. For some reason, it actually stayed a while, which normally doesn't happen for me :p

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I get the tubifex cubes to stick by quickly moving them to the glass before they have time to absorb a lot of water. I press it against the glass. I guess this creates some kind of suctions because it stays for awhile until the water soaks into it.

2ndsrt

Registered Member
Jan 4, 2007
Tubiflex does not stick to the glass as they used to. I think that the way they are prossesed has changed or how they are cutivated. New to the forum but not the hobby

TheMightyQueenPixie

Best Invention EVER!
Apr 16, 2002
Barrie, ON. Canada
www.baycitybettas.com
The reason for the no touching warning on Bloodworms is because people with allergies to dust/dustmites will also be allergic to BW. You can also develop an allergy with prolonged exposure to BW (rare, but happens).
That would be me... On the rare occsion I feed them I have to wear a respirator...NO KIDDING... Totally wash down after and a Benadryl... Oh the things I do for my FISH!

cjcountrywicks

AC Members
Nov 28, 2006
Virginia
I don't know about the cubes on the tubiflex, but I buy a frozen and fresh assortment of algae, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and tubiflex cubes. I cut them with a knife into slivers and feed that way and they gobble it right up! Try it and see if they like smaller pieces better!
Is the assortment all blended together? If so, where can I get some?

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
odd..i am allergic to both dust mites(american and european) but have no reaction to blood worms.

but some folks are ..so take care when handling them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store