Green Terror and Jaguar...Mating?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jagarundi

Bonafide, 100% Cichlid Lover!!
Oct 6, 2004
Is this possible? They have been doing a LOT of lip locking lately. My female GT was one half of a breeding pair when my male GT was alive. They used to have babies every five minutes. Could the GT and Jaguar actually be trying to have CHILDREN? Imagine the hybrid THAT would be!!

iangangoo

BIG FISH
Jan 18, 2006
Canada
i would not encourage this as a person in the hobby we must keep these hybrids out of the hobby! I am sure most here share my concern I would not buy a GT-Jag cross. If they do have babies keep them for yourself don't let them into the hobby PLEASE!!:rant2:

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
http://cichlidresearch.com/hybrids.html

The accidental hybridization of cichlids is a common problem in the hobby and most responsible aquarists cull the fry or eggs.

The diversity of cichlid species is such that identification is a fundamentally difficult thing at best, and to confuse the issue with fish that do not exist in the wild makes it an nearly impossible task.

Perhaps of most concern is the way hybrid cichlids like the flowerhorn or 'blood parrot' could be mistakenly identified as "pure" cichlid species. It is conceiveable that poor quality flowerhorns, could be mistaken for cichlids such as A. trimaculatus or A. citrinellus and bred back with the original species. this has already occured in cichlids such as Vieja synspilus, V. maculicauda and V. bimaculatus, and this only due to accidental hybridization by hobbyists. with the deliberate large scale production of hundreds of thousands of hybrids, the risk to the hobby is increased many times over. In Australia at present it is very difficult to find good "pure" strains of the Vieja species mentioned above or "pure" discus species such as the brown discus.

reintroduction of cichlids in the hobby into natural settings can become a problem. it already is in Florida. with the threat to many ecosystems globally, the cichlid hobby may provide future sources of endangered fish for re-introduction into the wild. It is therefore important that all cichlid keepers are aware that the fish we maintain in our aquaria are potentially endangered in the wild, due to a variety of factors eg: competition from other species such as the Nile Perch and urban development. In this awareness it is important to strive - wherever possible, to maintain cichlids in our aquariums as they exist in the wild.

what should you do to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem? JUST SAY NO to hybridization by not buying or producing such fish.

jagarundi

Oct 6, 2004
Well if they do have babies, OF COURSE they would stay in MY tank in MY home! Where else would I put them 'into the hobby'? I just wanted to know if indeed they were trying to mate with each other. Who said anything about 'introducing' them anywhere?:mad2:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
well, the young fish leaving your home is kind of assumed, since it would be difficult to house every single surviving fry and most people would need to find new homes for the babies. if you raise them and don't get rid of them you'll either need a lot of big tanks, or you'll have to euthanise some. also assuming, of course, you would keep any fry at all.

iangangoo

BIG FISH
Jan 18, 2006
Canada
hey man I was not trying to upset you, it's just such a sensitive topic these "hybrids" You know where we come from when we say don't release into the hobby, just spreading the word is all if you keep ALL the fry for yourself as chicken said then it's cool....:thm:

jagarundi

Oct 6, 2004
hey man I was not trying to upset you, it's just such a sensitive topic these "hybrids" You know where we come from when we say don't release into the hobby, just spreading the word is all if you keep ALL the fry for yourself as chicken said then it's cool....:thm:

It's cool. I would probably keep maybe 2 or 3 and leave the other fry as food for the other fish. I just wanted to know if the behaviour between the two of them indicates whether I should look for eggs layed out on a rock in another couple of weeks.

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
usually lip locking is part of mating, if you have pics it would be an interesting cross, I would be interested in seeing pics.

Gian krlo

GT expert!! :)
Dec 26, 2005
Union County, NJ
re

me too lol, it would be a nice mix, this doesnt mean i like hybrids, specially in the hobby, but if i were you i would also keep 2 or 3 for myself lol.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store