Large pleco vs. acrylic tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
I am setting up a 100 gallon acrylic tank that will house a 12" pleco. Anyone here have a large plecostomus in an acrylic tank? Is there any way to keep him from scratching up the sides of the aquarium too badly?

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Yeah put glass in the inside. LOL I never heard of them scratching Acrylic tanks but if they can there would be no way to stop them.

BK

AC Members
Apr 29, 2001
WI
members.aol.com
if you use and algae magnet or the like to keep algae of the sides of the tank the pleco will have less reasons to suck onto the side of the tank. also feeding them veggies they like better than algae may help.

dbcb314

Hates the Overstocking Police
Apr 12, 2003
Indiana
Visit site
my friend has a 200 gal acrylic tank and hes got a royal pleco in there and he hasnt had any trouble with scratching. he keeps him distracted with algae wafers

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Originally posted by BK
if you use and algae magnet or the like to keep algae of the sides of the tank the pleco will have less reasons to suck onto the side of the tank. also feeding them veggies they like better than algae may help.
Good idea, BK!!!

Just a quick reminder, though...be careful with the algae scrapers...they can do some serious damage to acrylics!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store