bottom-dwelling goldfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aatt1302

Registered Member
Aug 22, 2006
:help: 2 days ago, I had to make some maintenance work on my aquarium (20 liters) which required removal of my goldfish (total of 4). After placing them back, within 24 hours 2 of them developed a mild case of ich which was promptly treated. I have noticed that one of them (a comet-tail) seems to have sustained tail injury with a tear that goes almost to the base, and now it tends to stay on the bottom moving only for feedings. Has anyone had a similar experience, and how long should I wait before getting concerned?

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
your tank is 6 gallons. goldfish need a minimum of 30 gallons. prompty get a 55 gallon tank and your problems will go away.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
how long should I wait before getting concerned
you should be concerned now. you cannot maintain 4 goldfish in 20 litres without them succumbing to a plethora of diseases and an untimely death. actually you cannot maintain even a single goldfish in 20 litres. if you cannot get a much larger tank, i'd suggest getting rid of the goldfish and getting a betta or 4-5 white cloud minnows ... that's about all 5 gallons can hold.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
yeah, without a bigger tank, you will be fighting this or that disease constantly until they die. comets are pond fish, fancies can do fine in 25-30g for one, 55 for two, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store