Is my swordtail lonely or sick or what? Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
I had 5 swordtails. 1 male, 4 females. But the females all died due to stress and fungus. My male is just sitting at the back of the tank behind the heater where you can barely see him and he won't move at all unless he's forced to move with a net. He looks perfectly normal, but he'll only come out to eat.

Is he sick or is he mourning for his 4 wives? lol... Is he just sad or sick?

jgavlock

AC Members
Dec 20, 2006
How are your water parameters?

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
I've had him for 1 week now and I don't know the water perimeters cuz I don't have any test strips. I need to get some... and I will. All the other fish are acting normal though.

pl*co

Feeds low on the food chain
Jul 18, 2004
Michigan
Do you think he's still just chillin' from the stress of getting used to the new tank? I'd let him be for a few days. Is he eating?

jgavlock

AC Members
Dec 20, 2006
I suggest spending a little more money and buying the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. It is a liquid kid and for a little bit more money you will get much more accurate results! I'll never use a test strip again. :dance2:

ILOVEBETTAS

It's Cory Lover's cat!
He's been acting like a normal fish but ever since the females died, he's been kinda down.

sexymumma

Pregnant mummy!
Jan 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I think he is lonely.

If my husband died, I would hide in bed all day and wouldnt want to come out as well.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
I think he is lonely.

If my husband died, I would hide in bed all day and wouldnt want to come out as well.
fish are a lot different. they don't have emotional thoughts or needs like humans and other warm blooded animals do (at least not swordtails). he probably feels insecure alone, swordtails like groups.

Caspar

AC Members
Oct 25, 2006
I agree to look into your water parameters with an API Master Test Kit to help you determine if there is something wrong with your setup. It could be that your tank is fine and that the fish were already stressed between arriving at the store and their new home, but you do want to find the problem to help prevent any future losses.

Take Care!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store