Sump Filter in basement...pump question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SPACEMAKER

Rookie
Jan 2, 2007
Holt, MI
I have decided to place my sump filter near my basement utility sink and use hoses run through the floor.

I have a 135g tank and have been told that a 1200 gph mag drive pump is sufficient for that size tank. My question is whether or not I will need a stronger pump due to the length of the hoses and pumping the water upstairs.

Thanks.

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
How far up does it need to pump the water (from sump to the return on the tank), and how many times per hour would you like to turn the tank over?

SPACEMAKER

Rookie
Jan 2, 2007
Holt, MI
The sump filter will be 1 floor beneath the tank.

As far tank turnover is concerned, I really don't know what is best at this point. I was under the assumption that the 1200gph was more than sufficient but I don't know if the 1 story height differential between the tank and sump will necessitate a more powerful pump.

Also, where exactly do I hook up the actual pump? Near the tank or near the sump filter?

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
The pump has to be either beside or in the sump (depending on what type of pump you get). flow vs head pressure will vary per manufacture.

can you guess how many feet there will be between the sump and the top of the tank? Ceiling heights vary greatly:)

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
A mag 12 would do the trick nicely. I would look into quiet one pumps as well. 2 model 6000 pumps would cost a bit more but would provide redundancy.

SPACEMAKER

Rookie
Jan 2, 2007
Holt, MI
Thank you for the help.

I am not all that worried about pump noise just because the pump will be in my basement laundry room with the sump.

Rallysman

Stinkfist
Aug 2, 2006
Indiana
I've just had nothing but awesome luck with quiet one pumps. that's why I mentioned them. They are very very nice pumps for the price

Nothing wrong with the mag drives though:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store