Why are they called common plecos?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
Why are they called "common" plecos? To be honest, I'm not sure what mine is. I understand they are common, but it seems like sort of a stupid name. :eek:

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
because you can get them everywhere and they are not what we call "fancy" nor intelligent. all they like to to is eat and put long strings in your tank...they mostly all do the last one..but they are not that appealing or expensive.

yes yours is a Common, it has a potential to get over 30 inches long and is better suited to a pond over 2K gallons.

Last edited:

sexymumma

Pregnant mummy!
Jan 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Is that a bristlenose? I thought they only get to 4 - 5 inches?

And is that first pic of him eating his Zuchinni? I wish mine ate his vegies like that.

lovemybarbs

AC Members
Dec 23, 2006
Midwest
He isn't a bristlenose. They stay small.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
actually they are quite intelligent, and many people with the ability to keep them find them very appealing. they can be hand fed, eat from your fingertips, come to the top of the tank for a petting, and can develop some really amazing coloration.

"common" is just what most people call them because they are the most often seen, almost everywhere. other people with more background call them by the scientific names, which are more appropriate. Commons only reach 20-24", and will be fine in a tank 2-3ft. wide with at least 150g's. Saying they need a pond is a bit of overkill.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store