What is your DIY CO2 recipe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
Seems like everybody has their own. Please post yours and maybe we can get a consensus...

BTW what happens if you add more yeast than normal? Is it harmful or just not helpful?

anonapersona

Reads a lot, knows a little
Mar 7, 2003
Houston
Visit site
Gelatine CO2 Mix

Gelatine: 2 packets of Knox gelatine in 1 cup cold water, 1/2 cup sugar dissolved in 1 cup hot water, combine and mix, chill overnight.

Cube gelatine and add to 64 oz jug.

Add 1/2 teaspoon yeast to 1 cup warm water wait until it disperses, add 1/4 teaspoon sugar and wait a few more minutes to see some action, then add that and 2 teaspoons baking soda and another 3 cups warm water to the jug.

When the mix slows, I pour off half of the liquid, trying to keep the gel cubes in the bottle, then add more room temp tap water.

I've been using bread yeast, ale yeast, and champagne yeast. I think the bread yeast like the baking soda more than the beer and champagne yeasts do. I use a yeast nutrient with the beer and wine yeasts in addition to the baking soda, they did poorly with only baking soda. I will be looking at using less baking soda and more nutrient in the next few months, but the nutrient makes sticky foam when used in large amounts (1 teaspoon) but 1/4 teaspoon seems OK, some foam but not a foamover, at least when combined with baking soda and gelatine.

Bottles last about 3 to 4 weeks, so it takes a while to do many tests of different mixes.

Glenstorm

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
Orono, ME
Visit site
Originally posted by Heady
BTW what happens if you add more yeast than normal? Is it harmful or just not helpful?
gotta be careful with that! The biggest worry would be an overflow into your tank. had it happen and it was not good. Let's just say I have started a new planted community tank.:(

somefinnfishy

AC Members
May 12, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.freewebs.com
Re: Re: What is your DIY CO2 recipe?

Originally posted by Glenstorm

gotta be careful with that! The biggest worry would be an overflow into your tank. had it happen and it was not good. Let's just say I have started a new planted community tank.:(
I stoped useing diy co2 for this reson will be adding presurized with in the month.Your earlier tread freaked me out as I have all my favorite fish in the 4 tank central water system:eek: I would lose hundreds in fish and maybe even passion for the hobby all together:(

Starry

Occasionally sighted.
May 15, 2002
Brampton, Ont
My recipe is at http://aquaplants.web1000.com/art1.html

I haven't had any overflow problems, but then I've only been using this recipe for about a year. I actually add more yeast than most people because I'm not using a very effective reactor (read: airstone). Just don't fill up your bottle too much. Once you the the Jell-O and you're just adding the water and yeast on top, you don't need a lot of water. Just enough to cover the yeast.

Glenstorm

AC Members
Dec 1, 2002
Orono, ME
Visit site
Originally posted by rdelbalso
Also, how do you do the jello mixes without eating all the Jello?:D
Not sure what you mean but it normally eats away at the available surface area as it goes. Initially I get these interesting veins that the yeast progresses through. Eventually though the Jello liquifies, because I have the bottle in a heated bath to warm the culture.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store