HOW TO FRAG A LPS CORAL

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
Nov 29, 2002
ST.Louis Area
Visit site
I have been asked many times can you frag a LPS coral?
Yes. These are the steps I use each time I do it.

FRAGGING TECHNIQUE

To frag an LPS you need a dremel with a sharp cutting wheel and a new Exacto knife with sharp razor.

1. Remove LPS from system after first inverting underwater and shaking it until the polyps close. Once polyps close it is safe to remove.

2. While inverted(upside down) use the dremel to cut the skeleton into 2-3 pieces(depending on mouths)

3. Do NOT cut the Flesh with the dremel. Lay the piece on it's side and then cut the flesh with the razor in a very thin surgical type cut to limit tissue damage.

4. You will now have 2-3 pieces each with 1-2 mouths. Place back in aquarium right side up as normal.

5. The coral is stressed and will mucous over for 1-2 days and polyps may or may not open. During this time reduce flow so that coral is not directly "blasted".

6. Once polyp begins to fill with water and open observe it at night. If the feeding tentacles are visible then feed it a meaty food.

7. At this point the coral is on it's way to a full and speedy recovery as a new piece. Continue normal maintenance schedules..

It really is best for the coral fragged and the main display that these corals be kept in a frag tank or QT while healing. They will heal faster and there is less chance of any coral aggression during this process.

If you are really thinking of fragging then you should really consider plumbing a frag tank on to the main system. It really helps with space and healing. Maintenance is easier also.

Anyone can ask about fragging or PM me questions anytime.

Next time I do one I will have to get some pics to post.

Fishieness

AC Members
Jan 14, 2006
ct
i've been meaning to get a dremel....
but i am afraid that if i do i'd break down and end up fragging my 25+ headed frogspawn
haha
nice post
good tip about the x-acto knife. ive never heard of that one before and have often bought corals that were cut right through or done it myself, but i had just never heard of that. it makes a heck of a lot more sense though

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
I got a dremel for other reasons...and ended up using it for alot more with my SW tanks.... one of the best investments you can make!

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
The only think I would add at this point is to run carbon in your tank for a week or two after fragging any coral. I'm going to make this a sticky if you want to flesh it out a bit we'll make it an article if you don't object.
P.M. me
Max

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store