Red Tail shark thoughts.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lemans81

AC Members
Dec 24, 2006
Independence, Mo
I have all the fish in my sig. I have few fights, the red gourami chases the blue gourami when he crosses the half way mark of the tank for a half second but they never fight.

My red tail shark will chase the cherry barb if its close enough, but spends most of his day harassing the serpae tetra, who is almost as big as the red tail. The serpae was in the tank first, the serpae is going on 2 years old. Now that said when I moved to the new tank we had a CAE who harassed the red tail until we ditch the CAE in a friends tank. The serpae and the cherry barb look great and act happy, in fact they have gained color they never had in the old tank.

I read as many sites as I could find and they all agree the only fish a red tail should harass is another shark. Why does he hate my serpae, and to a less degree cherry barb. Has anyone else had problems with red tail sharks? Do I need to ditch the red tail to the lfs/friends?

lemans81

AC Members
Dec 24, 2006
Independence, Mo
well other sites are wrong. there are so many posts that go.... my RTS was fine one day it went crazy and A killed everything or B tried to kill everything in the tank. my story is it tired but i took it out before it did. they are mean fish.

Thats what I was afraid of. I know the two male gourami's don't care for each other much but I have never seen them chase each other further than there territory's which is less than 4 inches generally. The RTS will chase the serpae all the way down the tank and back up again.

llamabob

AC Members
Dec 14, 2006
www.myspace.com
My rainbow shark just developed a habit of picking on my Farawella. They are now seperated.

He never even looked at my jurupari, featherfins or angels.

BucJason

I drink like a fish
Dec 30, 2006
Tampa , FL.
No, they are EXTREMELY territorial and have the possibility of picking on anythign in thier territory that happens to rub them the wrong way.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
At the moment I would suggest adding a few more serpae and cherry barbs. If they are in at least a small school they will be much safer. That way aggression won't be on a single fish but spread over the group.

lemans81

AC Members
Dec 24, 2006
Independence, Mo
Ya thats first on my list of to do's. He has tried to pick on the gourami's but they don't take any crap from him. He is afraid of the danios when they are in a group. He doesn't care about the snail or cory's. Its funny he stays in the same cave as the raphael cat, until I turn out the lights but the raphael is skittish of everything in the world and tank, and he is the biggest by a good inch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store