shrimp, I think, maybe???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CrohnieBoy

AC Members
Jan 21, 2003
Northern Kentucky
I was cleaning the filter on my tank last night. I took it to the sink and was preparing to clean it. I looked inside and saw that something was moving. (Never sure if that is good or bad!)

I dumped the water into a glass cup and held it up to the light. I was right, there are 2 'things' swimming in there.

Now the fun begins.

I need someone to tell me what they are without seeing them. :)

I will describe them the best I can.

They:
are between 1/8 and 1/4 inch long
are see-thru
have 2 little black dots for eyes
have a bunch of legs
seem to have a small tail
can bend their tail underneath themselves
have 2 "feelers" on their head region (all terms are used loosely)
swim very fast
were playing 'piggy back' when I found them
the one is a lighter shade of clear (if that makes any sense)

The first thing that I think of is ghost shrimp. The second would be some kind of crayfish. The only thing I can figure is that they came with the live plants I got weeks ago. Possibly in a larve/egg stage??? Any help?

Feel free to ask more questions.
:confused:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Check out http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/ and see if you can find a match. There are many FW inverts that will thrive in a tank, but most of them are either really small, or quickly eaten. From your description, it sounds more like a small amphipod rather than some sort of larvae, but I could be wrong. There are many, many insect larvae that develop in the water.

Tom.E

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
New York, USA
Good decription. Agree with all; they’re scuds (Gammarus) http://www.theyoungspot.com/ccff/Scud.JPG

Scuds are a good live food if your fish are large enough to eat them. They’re easy to culture though not very prolific breeders. Any large container or bucket with water and dry leaves added is all you need. The scuds will consume the leaves as they decay. All you have to do is add additional leaf matter when needed and an occasional water change. No fuss, no smell.

I remember a few years ago that a company (Kordon?) tried selling scuds as live food in small packets. Haven’t seen them recently.

Tom

CrohnieBoy

AC Members
Jan 21, 2003
Northern Kentucky
REPLY: ALL

Thank you all for your responses.

The picture that Tom E. gave the link to is 100% dead on what they look like.

You guys (and gals) rock. :D

Now, where did they come from? The live plants bring them in?
I don't know if my fish are big enough (or fast enough) to eat them. I only have 4 adult white clouds and 14 toddler white clouds. ;)

Is it safe to assume that 1/4 inch is as big as they will probably get? I would hate for them to get big enough to eat the toddlers.
:eek:

Thanks again all.

Tom.E

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
New York, USA
Depending on what you have, 1/4 to 3/4 of an inch in length for FW species. For example, of the two scud species I keep; G. pseudolimnaeus gets to a 1/2 inch while H.azteca barely reaches about 1/4 inch in length. And yes, some eggs or youngsters probably came in with the plants.

Tom

wetmanNY

AC Members
Tom E. do you buffer your New York water to keep gammarids? I had those big ones in the "breathable" sachets a couple of years back... but mine didn't take to soft water, even with plenty of crushed coral...

Scuds occupy approximately the same kind of detritivore category as snails. But more entertaining.

I'd think they would coexist with White Cloud Mountain Minnows. Too big, too fast and too shelly.
But they'd be harmless to young fish, wouldn't they? They'd eat a fish egg, wouldn't they? These things I don't know... but I'm curious.

All freshwater crustaceans are a rising market.

Tom.E

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
New York, USA
They’re in tanks with and without aragonite, Wetman. Carapace calcification has not been a problem. The majority of the scuds I bring in are from the Western Catskill region, which pretty much matches our tap water. Bashakill, for instance, measures in at pH 6.5 KH 2 and has a rich scud population. I have found them to be sensitive to high tank temperatures though. They become very lethargic when water temps exceed 80F. That may have been the problem.

Scuds with fish fry is a good question. I’ve read about adults occasionally feeding on plankton, something I’ve never seen. Probably better not to mix them.

KSWISS- The scuds are in tanks that I use to rear aquatic insects in, another side hobby of mine. I net some out on occasion as a treat for my dwarf cichlids. Keeping them couldn’t be easier. Just supply some organic matter for them to feed on. I use crumpled up dried leaves. Any dry or frozen fish foods would also work, as would algae.

Tom

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store