Very Bloated Goldfish needs help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Repromanded

Registered Member
Jan 10, 2007
Hello everyone and thanks for reading my thread,

Ok i've got a goldfish, think it might be a comet but it has a big tail so possibly a fan-tail (i will post a picture if i can ;) ), the species probably doesn't matter, he's not eating at the minute and has developed a very large 'belly'.
I'm hoping it's only constipation as i havn't seen him poo alot lately, so i was advised to add epsom salts but i'm not sure how much.
The tank is a 180 litres with him (a 14yr old about 5" long, not including tail,) and three plecos (3",2.5",2" had them about 6 month ,1 died :(, )
Any help would be appreciated,
Andy

InR reason

InR reason
May 28, 2006
www.myspace.com
I would forgo epsom salts for now and try to add a frozen green pea with all the skin peeled off. Epsom salts are great but will harden your water a bit and possibly screw around with your water chemistry. First try the pea and wait a few days.

thang_bom

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
no poops
swollen belly
scales come out like a pine cone
face and eyes are swollen

Your fish definitely has dropsy. You must add 1/8 tablespoon of epsom salt for every 5 gallons of water. At the same time, you need to add Maracyn II.

At this time, you need to feed your fish medicated pellets (nothing else).

If you have a hospital tank about 10 gallons, it is cheaper to treat with Maracyn II. Moreover, the disease won't spread to another fishes. For the first day, you need to add two tablets per 10 gallons of water. Second to fifth day, you only need to add one tablet.

8 tablets are approximately $7.00.

It is very hard to treat for dropsy. Most fishes are fatal. Good Luck.

Repromanded

Registered Member
Jan 10, 2007
He's died today :( :(

My fish has died!!! I'm sorry to see him go but it's better than him sufering and me not being able to help. I don't think it was dropsy because he didn't have bulgy eyes or face, and the pine cone effect wasn't present.

in the end he just lost all balance and was floating around uncontrolably so i decided one last ditch attempt with a epsom salt bath but he passed away bout an hour after that. I think that probably did worse than it did good, moving him then a change of environment :( .

my tanks looking bare now :( i wish i could have know what to do to help him better.

Thanks for the post's, much appreciated

Dangerdoll

Global Moderator
Aug 27, 2002
Roselle Park, NJ
aquariacentral.com
Real Name
Cori
hmmm..... was a swim bladder issue. The problem.... floating foods and foods that expand after they hit the stomach. If you go dfor goldfish again, soak the food before introducing it to your tank at dinner time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store