!!! Lil' Leaper JD--will he live?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rosita

Here
Jan 11, 2006
Cape Fear River Basin
:help: Hey all. This is a new one for me--I picked up a 3" Jack Dempsey Tuesday; put him in my 5g quarantine tank. Settled in fine; been working on exams for school, so checking the fish has been my chill. I noticed I couldn't see him last night; got up, look all in tank, around plants, etc. No fish. Did he disintegrate? Looked on floor--small fish shape covered with fuzz, not moving. Don't know if I stepped on him or not, picked him up, brushed him off, held him in the tank water--after a bit he actually had gill movement!! It was a murrracle!!! After a bit of lightly flexing his body I let go, he kinda swam to the bottom. As I watched, he swam a while then crashed, swam, crashed. I'd plugged in the air pump and put in some Melafix.
When I got up this morning he was lying down, but moved to upright position under the little bridge. I could see his slime coat molting off, and he just stayed put til I left for work.
Is there hope for this little guy? I don't know how long he was out, maybe up to an hour. Anyone have any thoughts/experiences please? Thanks!!

Blueiz

THE TypoQUEEN
Sep 5, 2005
NC
Do what you are doing, keep the water extra clean. If hes not showing signs of improvement by tommorow, at least swimming a bit normal, Id seriously consider putting him down..

Blue

Ghost_knife

AC Members
Nov 17, 2005
Dempsey are especially prone to jumping out, if there's no improvement by tonight there wont be at all, and the humane thing to do is euthanize, Jacks are very pretty fish but need secure lids if you do keep this one alive or get another..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store