About moving a Pleco to a bigger tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

johns_stuff

AC Members
Dec 11, 2006
i just need some thoughts here. Am currently cycling a 55 gal tank, it is just about finished, (just waiting on the nitrites to drop)It's a fishless cycle. What I want to do is move what I think is just a common pleco, I bought him when I was a newbie and he was just a couple of inches long at the time I did not know how big they got or how long they live, and so put him in a 20 gal. well of coarse now he's outgrown my 20 and now I want to move him to my 55.
My Question is
Do I need to worry about moving him, how bad is this going to stress him out. Or is this something that is not going to really bother him at all.

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
i just need some thoughts here. Am currently cycling a 55 gal tank, it is just about finished, (just waiting on the nitrites to drop)It's a fishless cycle. What I want to do is move what I think is just a common pleco, I bought him when I was a newbie and he was just a couple of inches long at the time I did not know how big they got or how long they live, and so put him in a 20 gal. well of coarse now he's outgrown my 20 and now I want to move him to my 55.
My Question is
Do I need to worry about moving him, how bad is this going to stress him out. Or is this something that is not going to really bother him at all.
I think you should just get rid of him unless you're ready to buy him a 150G tank once he outgrows your 55G tank.

Malefic23

AC Members
Nov 7, 2006
Charlotte NC
If your tank cycle if just about done, you can most likely move him over. It's going to stress him out a bit, as any move does, but if you do it gently, he should handle it just fine. I prefer to pick plecos up to move them, but if you use a net try to keep him from getting tangled.

Better to keep him a few more days in cramped quarters till your cycle is totally done and the tank is perfect. These are hardy fish, but why take chances? As for needing a bigger tank down the road, possibly, but not yet. Some commons seem to max out at 15 or 18 inches.. some go the distance and grow up to be monster 30 inchers. In the meantime, he'll love the room and swimming space in the 55.

johns_stuff

AC Members
Dec 11, 2006
I think you should just get rid of him unless you're ready to buy him a 150G tank once he outgrows your 55G tank.
I don't know, I may do that. Or just wait for him to croak who knows. I've had him since he was vary small. I'm not ready to get rid of him just yet. Plus don't know who I'd give him to.

Last edited:

johns_stuff

AC Members
Dec 11, 2006
If your tank cycle if just about done, you can most likely move him over. It's going to stress him out a bit, as any move does, but if you do it gently, he should handle it just fine. I prefer to pick plecos up to move them, but if you use a net try to keep him from getting tangled.

Better to keep him a few more days in cramped quarters till your cycle is totally done and the tank is perfect. These are hardy fish, but why take chances? As for needing a bigger tank down the road, possibly, but not yet. Some commons seem to max out at 15 or 18 inches.. some go the distance and grow up to be monster 30 inchers. In the meantime, he'll love the room and swimming space in the 55.
I'm in no rush I think, what's a couple of more days waiting on the cycle so you pick them up. Never thought to do that.
he's been in the same tank for 4 years he's not growing that fast, but I noticed he was just looking a bit cramped so. I know now that they get big

Shagmaster

LOACH CRAZY
Oct 31, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't know, I may do that. Or just wait for him to croak who knows. I've had him since he was vary small. I'm not ready to get rid of him just yet. Plus don't know who I'd give him to.
Go to Monsterfishkeepers.com, There might be someone that will have room for him. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store