Gravel cleaning with Red Cherry Shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snickle

AC Members
Jan 4, 2007
Since, I was afraid the betta would it the shrimp if I put them in the community tank. I put then in with the common plecos.

No problems, other than I am trying to quick cycle the tank with a used filter and bio-spira. Lookin ggood.

How do I gravel vac without sucking up the juvinile shrimp?

Last edited:

snickle

AC Members
Jan 4, 2007
My main concern is the eggs and fry hiding in the gravel. The shrimp them selves I can avoid.

daayda3

AC Members
Sep 21, 2006
oh...
um, you cant get them out of the bucket? or do you have the "no spill and fill" ?

tai95

AC Members
Apr 24, 2005
My main concern is the eggs and fry hiding in the gravel. The shrimp them selves I can avoid.
Well the female will carry the eggs until they hatch, so that's not a problem. The shrimplets will (should) move away from the vac. If you are still worried you could always use the smallest vac you can find, and go slowly. If you see a shrimp getting close to the vac pinch the tube and stop the flow of the water.

You could also use a light colored bucket to catch the water. When you are done let it sit for a while and see if you sucked any into it. If you did just net them out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store