Goldfish Plays Dead

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JON

Speed Reefer
Jan 9, 2003
SE Ohio
users.adelphia.net
I have a fancy tailed goldfish. He's about 2.5" now. I have him in a 5 gallon tank. Temp is 68 degrees, ammo. 0ppm nitrite 0ppm. I do a 10% water change a week. He acts dead sometimes. I come in the room and he'll be vertical in the plants. He really looks dead but I walk over and tap the glass and he starts to swim around and acts fine. I've tested the water over and over again and nothing is wrong there. He's been doing this for about 3 months, so I don't think he's dying. Is he sleeping? By the way the tank has 3 stage filtration. It's a Regal Galaxy 5. What should I do if anything?

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
Hi Jon, a few questions, first of all what is the PH that might have something to do with it. Second can you be a little more descriptive on what you mean by dead. Does he just sit there and float, is he upside down, is his head pointing either up or down when not moving.

Avoxo

Last edited:

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
I think that he might need a larger tank so as to have swimming space. He may just not move around in a 5.

JON

Speed Reefer
Jan 9, 2003
SE Ohio
users.adelphia.net
I've seen him in all kinds of positions. Head up, head down, sideways, but he is always in the plants. You can see huim breathing, but from a few feet away he looks dead. The ph here is 8.2. I know it's high.

avoxo

FORE!!!!!!!!!!!
Jan 25, 2003
North Providence, RI
Visit site
Hi Jon, chil is right about the tank size, minimum for goldfish should be at least 10 gallons of water per fish. Bigger fish (3-4 inches and up) need at least 20-30 gallons of water per fish.

The ph is fine where it is at as long as it is a constant. Some goldfish will get swim bladder problems as they mature, I have a little guy that is a floater a lot of the time. I would keep an eye on him, you can try adding some aquarium salt to the tank the next time you change the water (about a teaspoon). Mix it well in the new water that you are going to add. See if it helps. Keep us updated on how he is doing.

Avoxo

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store